Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Do I need Race Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need Race Fuel?

If I do the DRZ-E gasket upgrade, which changes the compression ratio, with HotCams, valve springs and a 39FCR Carb will I need to run high octane race fuel? I also plan on porting?

Old 06-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

How much compression? anything over 10.5:1 should use a higher octane 93+, over 11.5:1 go to the race gas. You will have to rejet (richer) for race fuel

Old 06-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

I've heard that it takes it to 12.2:1

Old 06-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to say you are in the 110 range. I have 12.5:1 in my Zuke and that is what I run. ally my rider friends like riding behind me just to smell sweet aroma of burned race fuel.......ahhhhh! the sweet smell of speed! Good luck! Start rejetting and keep a close eye on your plug! Too lean and it will burn through your piston in a hurry!

Old 06-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

I know there are a random few gas stations out here near the CA delta where all the off-shore boats fill up before they drop in, but is there an octane booster I can add to normal supreme fuel? Out of the pump supreme is only 91-octane.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear that Race Gas is hard to find in Cali! Couple of ideas though.....check out VP Racings website, they are a fuel supplier and their website will have info on local dealers. I would not use an off the shelf additive because you want a consistant mixture. Try finding a good speed shop in your area (muscle cars, drag racers) they usually know the ins/outs of local race fuels and where to find. Klotz is making a Nitro methane additive that could work but it is very expensive $12.00 a bottle and then you need to rejet even more!! I would try local speed shops first, then VP Racing. If you want to try the Klotz my local shop just got in a case I can get them to give you deal because they would have to ship it with special handling. Good luck let me know how it goes.

Old 06-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

yup its called 108 octane Boost..i think there is 104 ,108 and 110 versions..

Old 06-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer

California's so jacked up right now when it comes to fuel. Prices are rediculously high, we have crazy additives (MTB) that destroy your fuel lines and they even dropped the supreme unleaded from 92 to 91 octane but the prices stayed the same. Regular unleaded is $2.35/gallon right now. MTB was added to fuel a while ago and was supposed to keep the pollution down. Some lakes here required you to show proof that you filled with MTB fuel before they let you on. Now they found that it pollutes the water even worse so those same lakes now require that you show proof that you filled up your boat at a station that does NOT serve MTB fuel. Rediculous. Sorry for the rant but it's a huge topic here because we're getting molested every time we fill-up. I guess it's the price we pay for living in the sunshine state.

I'm actually heading out to the delta for day on the water this Saturday so I'm going to stop by a station that I'm pretty sure carries it and check it out. If they don't have it, I may be taking you up on your offer. Appreciate all your help guys..

Old 06-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

On a related subject...
I have a lakota sport and on a very old forum gaff mentioned using alchy on his machine. Has anyone else done this? What do I need to know?

Old 06-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Mark2203
If I do the DRZ-E gasket upgrade, which changes the compression ratio, with HotCams, valve springs and a 39FCR Carb will I need to run high octane race fuel? I also plan on porting?

The gasket alone shouldn't bump you up to 12.2:1. Even with the cams you shouldn't need race fuel. If this were true the dirt bikes would need race fuel, they don't. I think you will be ok with high octane pump gas. Goto Z4oo Central and ask them to get the forsure answer to your compression question.

PS: I can't give the address to that website, if you can't find it, goto Google and search for what I typed.

Quick Reply: Do I need Race Fuel?