Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

DG3 Safety Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DG3 Safety Question

I did a search before everyone starts getting on me for posting an "old" topic! I did not find what I was looking for. Where I ride we have lots of very steep hills like creek banks and such. If you install the DG3 on an '02 650, will this make steep hillclimbs dangerous? I know how to climb a hill, but will it be unsafe with the improved low-end?

Old 06-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

RED... that is a good question... the DG-3 comes with a 5th wire, & instructions to hook up a switch ( easy to do )... I did roll over my quad, on a steep hill, during a hare scramble race, with the original hole shot installed... I could have put a switch on it, but even if I had a switch installed, it is likely, that since I was in a race, I wouldn't have switched it off... ( I had just installed the module, the week before, & really hadn't gotten much "real" seat time with it installed )...

what it comes down to in reality, is these are dangerous toy's, & you really do need to get used to operating them, & should use extra caution, when operating them in abnormal situations... always wear a helmet... IMO, once you get used to it, you'll likely never turn it off, ( maybe in extreme situations, like hill climbing ), but it will be there, to turn off, when anyone unfamiliar with your quad, rides it...

Old 06-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Is the added performance from the DG3 going to be worth it on an '02? If not, can you install the '03 igniter that the DG3 works better with on an '02 model?

Old 06-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Range Rover

I believe the 02 and the 03 are wired different...as far as the CDI anyhow
I got the Degree key and the DG3 and I am very happy

Kasi
PS did ya ever do that offset key trick to yer Ruby?

Old 06-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

stock ignitors are totally dif, on 03 vs 02..and you can easily run some wire to a toggle switch on your bars or some other place nearby so as to not have to pull your seat to disable the dg3..its easy if you wish

Old 06-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

I may look into that switch. Kawakasi, no I did not want to mess with it because I'm now looking to sell the machine in order to buy this Prairie.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I just got my DG3 today and there are only 4 wires and no instructions of any type for an on/off switch. Im thinking I could splice into the blue wire upline from the"A" wire connection which is for power and is a tap connection. That would power down the DG3 but would the unit still allow for passive connection??? I have a Wife and Daughter that will ride my 650 from time to time and I dont want the machine to get away from them. Does my conclusion seem right to all of you??

Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

SCRAM... your DG-3 should have 5 wires, the white one should connect through a switch, to a ground... perhaps they have eliminated the switch option, however, mine came with full color instructions... did you get your module from DGR ???

Old 06-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

yes,unless you got the original DG module there should have been 5 wires..the white one,of which,wires to the black one to form a loop ,thats the one you want to wire your switch to,,

Old 06-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yep sure did. The remains of the white wire are inside of the plastic but trimmed just at the top of the clear fill gummi stuff. I called DG just after my post and noticing that there was an extra wire down in there. They said the wht was supposed to be this way????? The tech guys werent in so Im waiting for a return call from Don to clarify this.

Quick Reply: DG3 Safety Question