Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Holeshot ATR or Bighorn radial?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holeshot ATR or Bighorn radial?

I would have posted this in the tire forum, but it doesn't get much play. Would have posted in yamaha, but it would get buried under 8000 raptor topics.

I'm looking at replacing stockers sooner or later, and it will be between these two only. Doesn't matter that ATR come in 26" either.

Just wanting to know some stuff from those that have these (biased ply bighorns as well). How do you like them, how do they do in all kinds of situations, and are they true to height or a lot smaller than the stated height. Don't care about mud capability, have that taken care of already. Looking for something that is great on trails, rides good, climbs excellent, and does great in loose dirt, rocks, anything dry. I don't see how I can go wrong with either, but I like the lighter weight of the ATRs right now. Only thing close to the wafer light dunflops that yamaha provides (crap tire, but weighs nothing).

Old 06-26-2004, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the bighorns. I have the ATR's and love them. ITP is re-tooling their molds on the ATR's so don't purchase untill you hear from me about the availability. Keep an eye on this forum for when I post the new mold numbers to look for on the sidewall of the tire. I will have a set of the 26" sent to me as soon as the new mold work is complete.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I am running ATR's on my 650 and I have a friend that is running bighorn radials , I have not seen a real difference between the 2, they are both great all around tires. The big horns appear to be a little taller and skinner than the ATR's

Old 06-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

I've been happy with the ATRs. THey haven't got a hole yet (which is new for me). Usually every tire I've tried I'm getting a puncture. Also, they really hook up great. The rears are wearing out faster than the fronts though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same question as yourself and after many sleepless nights decided to go with badlands xtr's. I have been very happy with them.
cheers.

Old 06-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Bighorn Radials should be available in 26" and 27" sizes by about the middle of next month.

Old 06-27-2004, 03:40 AM
Pro Rider

I like the ATR but the Bighorns look like they would be a tougher tire and better in the mud. i'm going to sell my ATR's to a buddy at work and pick up a set of 27" bighorns when they are available.

The atrs are sweet tires in everything but mud.........when you hit mud...........1" or 1'...............they totally suck *****!!!!!!

good luck
cart

Old 06-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

I just won the atvdra summer national drag races E.T. on atrs (Half wore out) if that means any thing, I had to air em tighter than a tick to take bite out I could not hold the quad on the ground with low pressure This is not a county fair event this was a big one 650 prairie good luck, jh

Old 06-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

So with all of this talk of radials, how does a Prairie handle with 26" radials? I am buying a P700 (NOT a Brute Force) and the first thing I am going to do is dump the Dunlops and get ATRs. Everyone has said that new tires will help the handling. Do you actually get 1/2" of extra ground clearance with ATRs? If so, does the extra height make it tippy at all?

Brian

Old 06-28-2004, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

scoobybri

When I went to 25" ATRs' from 25" OE dunlops on my 03 P650 the ground height remained the same. I kind of freaked at the tire shop because I had him mount an atr on one front and stand it beside the other front with the Dunlop. The ATR looked 1" shorter. I went ahead and mounted them. I had measured my ground clearance before the tire swap. To my surprise I lost none. The floor board height remained the same.
The Dunlops simply crush much more under a load than the ATRs'.
Wait to purchase until you see my post on the new mold series for the 26" ATR's.
I sent a set of 26" ATRs' back to ITP because they were no taller than the 25" units. I guess I was not the only one. They are re-tooling their molds (for the front and rears) to fix that and to address other quality control issues as well. I will have a full set soon and will post a report.

Quick Reply: Holeshot ATR or Bighorn radial?