Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

DMC Aliens, pilot jets, air box mods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMC Aliens, pilot jets, air box mods...

Got a set of DMC aliens on the way. Air box modified with two, 1.5" holes in lid. At less than 500' above sea level, I was thinking of starting with #42 pilot jets, and 142/145 mains.
Anyone got any input on this combination, or alternate set-up combinations??????????
Oh yeah, EPI pink spring also.

'04 V-Force, btw.

Thanks guys, looking forward to any and all input,
kliff

Old 06-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I think you will be around the 145/148---150/155 range on the jets. Im running the DMC's with napa snorkle and K&N filter , and im at 145f/148r

Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply Trailride. I've got jets on hand, up to 152, so maybe I'll be able to "nail it," with what I have. The idea, was to use the 42 pilots, as opposed to the stock 40's, so as to enable a slow speed adjustment of 1.5-2.75 turns out, and smooth the transition from slow speed to needle(mid range), while depending on the mains for 3/4 to full throttle, as designed. All to often, especially with CV carbs, the pilots are neglected, and the mains over emphasized to make up for low speed jetting by "dumping" fuel through the needle. Past experience has shown that any time a low speed needle is, or needs to be adjusted in excess of 3 turns out, it's time to up-size the pilot jet.
I like your suggestion on the 145/148. This combined with the 42 pilots might just be what I'm looking for...if not, maybe 148/152. I will be using either the stock foam, or UNI foam filters, with the previously mentioned 1.5" holes in the air box. Aliens should be here Thursday, we'll know something by this weekend. Thanks again Trailride, I'll let you know how it turns out.
kliff

Old 07-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

DMC Aliens arrived today, from Rocky Mtn ATV, great service from those guys. This has got to be one of the easiest exhaust system installs I've ever done, BAR NONE! And between H-D, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Ducati, BMW....I guess I've done...well let's just say the last 35 years of wrenching have definitely been interesting. Great quality, ease of installation (1.5 hours, start to finish), beautiful finish...just a tad bit loud. Still, I'm satisfied.
Jetting tomorrow evening...

kliff

Old 07-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Very loud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Yo, Trailride! Done!
One small problem, the 42 pilots I had...weren't the right ones, so we'll leave that experiment to a later date. Without the correct pilots I jetted 148f/150r, added a shim to each needle(.022"), and adjusted the low speed screws to 2 & 1/2 turns out. Initial observations:
#1 excellent starting and idling, as good or better than stock.
#2 throttle response, either gentle feed or quick "snaps" to WOT, again excellent, no hesitation, flat spots, spits, or backfires.
#3 decelleration, no pops or backfires.

Having installed the EPI "pink" spring along with these mods, the neighborhood test ride was a real "hoot." Sunday I'll get out to the atv park and really see how she performs. But from what I've seen so far, it's gonna be fun! Just LOUD!

If anyone is having problems finding shims, just go to your local H-D dealer, ask for washer, part #6335, they list for $0.22ea

Till next time, and after some plug readings, that's where she sits...we'll see how close I came.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

Okey-dokey, final report!
Yeeeehhaaaaawww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fun......yup, just plain unadulterrared fun!

Oh, sorry, got carried away....first, jetting, 148f/150r, using the stock air cleaner element, with two 1 1/2" holes in the air box lid are "light coffee tan," with the a/b holes Filterred, with some addition filter foam, the plugs go to a "card board brown." Either of these is definitely a useable mixture.

Pipes, DMC aliens, combined with the above are LOUD! But, quite effective at unleasing beaucoup H.P.!

Pink spring....brings it all together, for me at least. With the increased H.P., tha new "curve" of clutch engagement, and lock-up is excellent. wheelies or wheelspin at will, just a matter of body english.

Fun, fast, predictable....until the next round of mods....I'm pleased.