Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tough starting Mojave only when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough starting Mojave only when warm

Can anyone tell me what part causes a warm quad to start poorly. I had cold starting issues, replaced choke cable and coil/wire/plug boot and thought all my starting issues were solved. I actually sold the quad and the new owner called me back and said when the quad is warm and you shut it off, it sometimes starts on the first kick but if it doesn't, it won't start until it cools down. Quad does not appear to be over-heating.

Thanks. Would like to help the new owner out as it is a great quad.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It probably needs more air, it may be too rich at idle. Have him try starting it with the throttle open 1/4 .

Old 07-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Quad Patrol

I sometimes have that problem with my '88 mojave. What I do, is open the throttle about 1/8-1/4, then, I turn ithe quad off at the key and the off button on the left handle bar. Then I turn them back on, it usually only takes 1 or 2 more kicks to start it. I guess I go through the on/off ritual as just that, a ritual to make sure I did turn it on and that I can take a breather between all those kicks. Good Luck, Lt. Dan

Old 07-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

It could be that your valves need to be adjusted. If it's not pull the plug and go from there. If it is on the lighter side (white, very light brown) then go up a jet size. If it is dark (black , or DEEP brown) then you need to give it more air. If the plug is a medium brown you should be all set. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Valves have been recently adjusted. Surprised a too rich or too lean condition can make a quad hard to start.
Nobody thinks an electric item like CDI or stator could be causing this when it gets warm?
Thanks for the feedback. Will have them check the plug.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

I don't really know that much about the cdi but when I had problems it was always a valve issue.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

Valves - with the valves being mechanical and opening and closing with the cams, why would engine temp make any difference with regards to the valves and how it starts? I can see if its hard starting all the time and the valves are out of adjustment, that makes sense. Quad starts perfect cold. 2-3 kicks.

Good feedback, keep it coming. I'm not dis-agreeing, just commenting to keep the discussion going.

Thank you very much.

Old 07-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the engine warms up the clearance between the valve and the adjuster gets tighter. So if the valves are adjusted too tight when cold it will be really tight when warm. Which holds the valve open slightly.

I'm also voting for valve adjustment. Check them when cold and see if the intake on the kickstart side is the culprit. Thats usually the one. The exhaust valves seem to stay adjusted longer than the intakes on these motors.

Although possible I have never seen a bad CDI on a Mo.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

It has to be a vavle issue. Have you adjusted them before?

Old 07-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, recently unless we did it wrong. Did use a feeler guage and adjust to book spec.
Based on all this feedback, I'll get them to check them again.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Tough starting Mojave only when warm