Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX 400 vs. KFX 700

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 400 vs. KFX 700

IF you plan to do a lot of trail riding, don't forget the 700 has more ground clearance due to shaft drive...and since it's auto trannied...you can creep through technical trails a little slower. But it is heavier..so when you high center in a tree...the 400's lighter weight will be a bonus. Plus, clutching is FUN!

Old 07-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

I have a riding partner with a KFX400 with a CDI, Yosh full system, and Pro Design filter kit. My 700 is running Dalton clutch components, Pro Circuit exhaust, a 6* timing key, and a dual snorkel intake. It isn't even close--we're talking walking away from the 400 like it is standing still. My 700 gets threatened by YFZs and 450R's, but anything less than a 450 kitted Z or KFX400 might as well pack it up.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:38 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

I'm another one of those that owns both a KFX700 & 400. Both Stock and Mod for Mod, the 700 is simply faster. When my 700 was completely stock, and my 400 was piped/filtered/jetted, my 700 was still faster (Not by much, but still had the edge). After adding Duals and a Primary Spring to the 700, it was simply NO contest (Sorry fellow 400 owners, just simply the facts.). It is getting to where anything that you can do to your 400, you can also do to the 700 (Motor wise), with the exception of sprocket changes. Mod by Mod (Regardless of cost), the 700 will still be faster.

I used to prefer my 400 for Dune riding. Now with the very simple mods I have made to the 700 (HMF Pipes, EPI Pink Primary Spring and FST CDI.), I now prefer the 700 for blasting through the sand, regardless of the weight of the Big V. With paddles, I haven't any trouble getting up and over anything that I have come across so far. I just spent 8 days at the Dunes in Florence & Winchester Bay, OR and was there riding with my family which consists of no less than 4 KFX400's in various stages of mods. My 700 was the constant winner of the hillshooting races we ran and even ran faster on the flats than the 400's. I ran dead even with my buddies piped Predator.

As far as Woods/Trails are concerned, I have just ONE thing to say. Ground Clearance. When we all go out Trail riding, I spend half of the day helping all of the Chain driven quads get unstuck or helping them because they are high centered in the deep rutted stuff (Lots of ruts where we ride). Not a problem with the 700.

I know this sounds like I am bashing the 400. I'm really not. My wife rides it in the Dunes (I also jump on it from time to time.), and it works great. Overall, it is what I believe to be one of the best all around quads ever produced. However, even though I think it is a great Quad, I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up everyone's butt and tell you that it will do things that it won't in comparison to the 700. Reliability hasn't been a problem with either my 700 or 400.

The reason I have made the comments I have is due to the constant remarks and comments by those who are misinformed in their comparisons of these 2 quads. Second hand knowledge or limited seat time, is not a very scientific method for determining which of these quads is better than the other in different situations. In tight woods stuff, the size of the 700 is a detriment to it's abilities. The same is also true about the 400 when it comes to hillclimbing. The light front end of the 400 in comparison to the lower center of gravity on the 700 makes the 700 more stable when climbing tough technical up-hill situations. Not to mention (Like it or Not) the auto trany is always right on the spot and you never have to worry about being in the wrong gear.

In the end, it really just depends on what you like. I like them both, it's just that at this point in time, I like my 700 better. Not for what it CAN'T DO, but for what it CAN DO.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Range Rover

RPM what elevation do you ride? Elevation must play a big part or someone wasnt properly jetted....my kfx 400 was nailed jetting wise and we ride at 5000 ft...Like i said, when we hit it and the KFX 400 was piped/air box mod'd...it would give the stock 700 all it wanted and a little more once it hit third...this was top end to...once the 700 was piped it was a different story...700 was all over the 400... I am not taking sides as i love both bikes....just stating my experience.

Stock for stock and specific mod for mod the 700 will come out ahead...however, dollar for dollar you talking a different story. Everything you want for that 700 cost more (pipes, cdi, clutch kit)...me and my buddy priced it out and I could get the CT 453 big bore kit and all that it comes with (pipe, big bore, carb, etc) for his piped, snorkeled, clutch kit...I think the CT kit would definitely have an edge in sand, track, or any type of dragging.

Me personally, my type of riding being all sorts...if i could only have one quad it would be the KFX 700, ground clearance, good design with low center of gravity and well balanced V-Twin engine, plenty of power and low end torque...the 700 is a wicked machine...seeing how i have a prairie however i like the alternative of a fast, light bike when i am not on the prairie.

Both are great machines...it depends on what you want it for...i still think if you do alot of sand riding the 400 has an edge...trial the 700 and the GC has a bit of an edge...track, gotta go 400. As far as climbing and light front end goes...i have seen more mishaps on that torquey 700 than I have on the 400...actually for awhile there were pictures and videos of the 700 coming over posted everywhere on the internet...actually one good video showing both the 400 and the 700 climbing. 700 is a great climber and if you respect it then the front end is easier to handle then the 400s...however, coming down the same hill i like the 400 far better...just my opinion however...one last time...you cant go wrong with either bike...if your a big fella go with the 700...if your not then give the 400 a look...enjoy

Old 07-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all Bullsh!t if i have ever heard it!! I have had my kfx-400 for more than a year. I have raced plenty of V-forces and have never once lost and that is the honest to god truth. My neighbor even has one with dual yoshi and a clutch kit and i still beat him. Take in hand he usaully takes most v-forces himself.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

I love how everyone thinks the Vforce is slow. Everyone just talks more s**t about it.

When I beat my bro's T5'd '03 Banshee from 0 to my 77mph top speed the other day, he didn't think it was slow. I guess its no KFX400 though..

Old 07-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MURDR
This is all Bullsh!t if i have ever heard it!! I have had my kfx-400 for more than a year. I have raced plenty of V-forces and have never once lost and that is the honest to god truth. My neighbor even has one with dual yoshi and a clutch kit and i still beat him. Take in hand he usaully takes most v-forces himself.
You must be opening the NOS bottle when you run against V's, either that or you're sniffing it

Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the v-force is fast, but themy kfx-400 is faster, even nos. And for your information you cant sniff they add sulfar so if you try you will get a killer headache. Believe me i thought about it. My nos is not hooked up yet i had to send a part back to boondockers.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I got both to ride, my 700 and brothers 400.

We are selling the 400 and my brother is getting my 700 he just loves how much more power the 700 has.

Yes when stock they are somewhat close in a drage race but the power the V has for TRAIL riding is WAY WAY better.

Go take the V up some hills and you will see what everyone is talking about.

I am getting the king quad my self or the brute force.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MURDR
Yeah, the v-force is fast, but themy kfx-400 is faster, even nos. And for your information you cant sniff they add sulfar so if you try you will get a killer headache. Believe me i thought about it. My nos is not hooked up yet i had to send a part back to boondockers.

Really, you can't sniff NOS--I had no idea You must have a rare KFX400 with incredible V-Force stomping power.