Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P700 saves my best friends life and a Honda Rancher!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P700 saves my best friends life and a Honda Rancher!

Seriously I almost lost em both this last weekend. Had it not been for my P700 I probably would have.

My friend Nick and I were doing some mudding along the Arkansas River in South East Colorado near my home this weekend. He was looking for some untouched mud and found some on a big island in the middle of the river. We did some depth probing with some drift wood we found and found the river to be only about 8-10 inches just a little past the half way mark so Nick decided he would go first. I wated on the bank while he headed across. He was toolin along fine till just after the half way point where he went over a drop off and nothing but the handle bars and the rearfenders were sticking out of the water. At first it was not a big deel because he was just sitting there. He tried to reverse it but the current quickly washed away the loose gravel under his wheels as they spun. I ran out to him now in thigh high water and tied a tow rope that I had on my machine to his rear rack where it goes under the fender. I walked back to my machine and started tieing on. I could hear him saying "you better hurry up!! Come on!! I looked back just as I hopped on my machine to see nothing but the top of the rear rack above the water as the current started taking him. I put it in high 4 and gave her hell, and thank the good lord he came out with ease. We checked the air box for water and the oil and all seemed fine. We ran that honda for the rest of the day with no problems. Glad I didn't go first there is no way that honda would of pulled me out. Anyhow I hope you've enjoyed the story as much as I've enjoyed tellin it. As you can see from my las post I'm now in the market for a good wench. Bout dang time too.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Good to hear You got em' out ok! I ride with a couple Ranchers and am always pulling em out. They are a great little quad, and from what I've seen tough as nails. Lots of times my buddy just rides up on top of of the nasty stuff, but I sink down more and end up tearing it up.
I'd stay away from towing in high gear though....

Old 07-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

what luck currents can be EXTREMLY dangerous. if u'r crossing rivers heres a tip cross it at an angle to the flow so there is less chance of beign swept away.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

and alwas shoot well higher than you intented destination as the current will push you down stream,with any luck youll end up fairly close to where you intended to be

Old 07-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Why did you and your buddy feel the need too get out too the island? Was there anything too do once you got out there?
Gary

Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Yeap ride some untouched mud!

Old 07-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

My best bud and my girlfriend almost drowned in that river right where you're talking about. We were very lucky that day. We were tubing and come onto a big tree that had fallen over into the water. What I didn't know is that the water really speeds up going thru those branches and pulls anything under and through the branches. Me and his girl barely got them out with my jacknife puncturing the truck tubes that were holding them against a branch underwater. I'll never go tubing again because there is no control of them at all.

Glad you got him out. Now both of us know that a big river is not to be fooled with.