Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 4X4 Actuator troubleshooting (Update)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 4X4 Actuator troubleshooting

I've got the .5 second interval blinking 4X4/2X4 indicator. The motor in the actuator seems to work intermittently. Before I go spend $200 on a new motor/actuator assembly, I'd like to make sure that is my problem. Does anyone know the trouble shooting procedure on this thing? I assume there is a fuse for this circuit, but can't find it. I didn't see anything labeled "4X4" under the seat? I assume one wire to the motor is ground, one is for 2X4 and the other is for 4X4? I took the motor apart and the gears out of the actuator so I could play with the motor by turning the "park" switch inside the actuator off and on...sometimes I can get it the motor to turn...sometimes not. Are there any "conditions" that have to be met before the actuator will work other than just having the key turned on? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Is it the 4x4 actulator you have removed? If so connect a lead from the battery to the black (neg) & red (pos) on the wiring harnes to the actulator & see if it works.. Aslo is there any water in there at all??

Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Range Rover

well...now I have two problems...I now have the two second interval. There is no water in the 4X4 motor. I went out this morning and without any gears in the little gear box (so I could turn the on/off switch in the gearbox to a place where the motor would turn), the motor turned fast for a couple of seconds, then reversed 1/2 speed and then went back forward. I assumed it was getting necessary voltage, so I turned the key off while it was still running, put the gears back in, and then turned the switch back on. Nothing happened for a couple of seconds, then the motor started and moved the engagement block an 1/8th turn or so. I then assumed it had "reset", so I put it back in the front diff. I can't tell if it is engaging/disengaging now or not. I'll fiddle with it and the KEBC more after lunch. I think I need to reset the KEBC. I had it out when I replaced the KEBC rod. I bought this thing a month or so ago and I could hear the KEBC motor then, but now I can't hear anything. I played with the KEBC fuse, but can't find a fuse that would seem to work for the 4X4 system. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

The engagement block on the actulator has to been in a certain postion before it will work correctly, this is not in the manual, I have a copy of the service bulliten if you need it..

Old 07-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

I'd love to take a peek at the service bulletin...Looks like you are across town...I sent you a PM

Thanks,

Larry

Old 07-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Range Rover
Default P650 4X4 Actuator troubleshooting (Update)

Thanks to Uinthas (Darren) I was able to determine that I had the acuator motor in the wrong position. I thought that since the motor had stopped on it's own, that it had "reset" itself...not so. I was able to set the actuator in the place it needed to be.

One other question if anyone knows...the rectangular "block" (kawasaki calls it a collar) that is pinned to the end of the actuator eccentric naturally falls "down" (the hole that it attaches to the actuator eccentric with is off-centered). When you install the actuator to the front differential, does the "block" or "collar" hang down as you install it, or are you to flip it 180 deg. (hold it with some grease) and install it that way?

Old 07-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

I've got a better idea...I'm ordering a service manual from Ronayers in the morning (unless I find one on Ebay tonight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) ). I can jumper the red/black wires and the motor turns fine, but when I install it, I can't get it into 4X4. Or once in a while it goes into 4X4, but won't disengage when i want it to.

Also, still having issues with the KEBC motor too. I can zero it per Nyroc's suggestion, but it won't run on it's own. Controller??? We'll see once the manual gets here.

Thanks for the help Uinthas (Darren)...I guess we'll have a manual now if you have any questions down the road.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

The collar should just hang down. Forgot to tell you this yesterday, after you remove the actulator, dont let the wheels move, it will kick the gears in the differential out of position & the actulator will be a beast to get back in, I know I did this & had to take it to the dealer to get it back in, they had to keep turing the wheels back & forth until is fited properly. good luck