Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

How do I tell if my Lakota is running too lean or rich?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I tell if my Lakota is running too lean or rich?

I have a 2002 Lakota Sport and just put on a DG Stage III Xcellerator exhaust and a K&N clamp on filter. I am now working on getting the main jetting correct. Unfortunetly, there was no recommended jet size with the exhaust or the air filter. Can someone tell me what some symptoms are of running too lean or too rich. I have bumped the main jet from the stock #140 to a #150. I also tried a #148 but the 150 seemed to give me more power. Everything seems to be running fine but my nice new chrome exhaust pipe is getting discolored. Isn't this a since of running with an improper fuel mixture? Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

damn i bet that thing flys

Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone...Anyone...Anyone. Can someone please help me out here.

Old 07-20-2004, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer

The pipe discoloration is normal. You can't do anything about it unless you ceramic coat it (jethot, etc). Of course a lean condition will run hot. My Mojave was right on jetwise and still discolored my DG headpipe.
Here's a good article on jetting: http://www.powroll.com/tech_specs_jetting.htm

Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

pull your plug,,,,what does it look like

Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I run a an IDS2 quiet core with a uni clamp-on filter. My main jet is 135.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled my plug and it was cean...real clean...too clean. I bumped the main jet up to a 162 and it still ran fine. I used the tape over the air filter to see what happened. I taped over half my filter to reduce air intake trying to see if I could make it cut out at full throttle...it did. I then started removing small sections of the tape to gradually increase air flow. When the cut-out stopped I still had about 1/4 of the air filter covered. Now from the links that go to sites with detailed step by step instructions on how to properly jet I believe I might be at the correct one or even a bit small. But I still think a 162 is way huge. Basically was the instructions have said is essentially put a huge jet in that causes the sputtering or cutting out at 3/4 - full throttle (main jet). Then slowing reduce the size of the jet until the cutting out stops. I will have to take it out to the dunes and mess around with a bit more to be sure.

cgaluter - As far as your jet size I'm betting you bought a K&N power pack that included the DynoJet jet kit. If so here is a blurb from another post about that. This was written by Gaff and he seems to be THE guy when it comes to the Lakota.

---Gaff say's
The article you read was referring to dynojet jets (DJ138) where the stock jets are keihin (#140). The DJ jet is sized by flow where the stock one is sized by the diameter, there is no crossing the numbers and get the same size. I DJ134 is considerably larger than the stock 140. If you were to replace the stock 140 with a larger optional jet I would say the #142 rite now and #146 when you do the pipe and filter.
---

Notice Gaff mentioned going to a 146 after I do the pipe and filter. Since Gaff has apparently done every mod or hop up available to the Lakota I tend to take his advice pretty reliably. Hence, I think I may be severly over jetted at 162. I'd rather run rich for a while and foul some plugs and get bad gas mileage (while I figure this out) instead of running lean and overheat seizing the engine.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

My jets came from Keihin. I didn't buy the kit because it is so overpriced. The jets are like $2 each or may be less. I can go down as low as #130 but I think that there are times that I am running lean depending on the day and the track. This is why #135 was what I used.

Old 07-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

kankak how do you like your stage 3. i just bought a 36mm carb and i am going to buy the 330 kit soon so i was wondering if the stage 3 is worth the extra money over the supertrapp

Old 07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I love my stage 3. I don't how the supertrapp performs so I can't really compare the two. When I was trying to decide which one to buy I did find a couple of reviews that said the stage 3 is a better performing exhaust. I talked to 3 different local MX shops and they all recommended going with the DG stage 3 over the supertrapp. I posted the question on which one to go with on these forums. Those that had the stage 3 said they loved it and those that had the supertrapp said it was a great mod. There was only one person that replied who said they put a supertrapp on before the stage 3 hit the market, but he would go with the stage 3 if he did it over.

Bottom line is I really like the stage 3 and am glad I got it. I definetely think it is worth the extra cash.

Quick Reply: How do I tell if my Lakota is running too lean or rich?