Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Thinner head gasket for more compression?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinner head gasket for more compression?

I am not sure if Mickey thought you only meant polish the heads. Some people use the term "port and polish" to mean the same thing as flowbenching or flowin or reshaping ports. That may have led to a confusion about what mickey said.

I think if you did a little work on the exhaust ports like you and I talked last night you wouldn't get much power - just like mickey said.

But, I would like to say I agree with Newbeetle that flowing the heads will do a lot - and this has been proven by various people that have done it in the past. Some on this forum have installed cams and then had their head flowed later, and the head work added about the same amount of power to the engine with cams as cams does by itself. That means flowing the heads will give you a lot of power than cams alone. You probably will need the full pipe set too, but it would be smarter to get the heads flowed first and wait on the muffler if you can't afford to do it all at once.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

The stock head flows 104 cfm at 15" of vaccum at 400 lift. The stock carberator flows 110 cfm wide open. To date, the best I can make a head flow with the stock manifold on the head fully ported is 120 cfm. If I put my intake manifold for my big carberator kit on the same head, I can get it to flow 140 cfm. The point being, the stock intake manifold has a sharp short-turn radius that is killing the flow of the head. This is why I don't sell a $600 port and flow job because I don't believe you get your money's worth of horsepower. Don't get me wrong, it will help some because of the gains throughout the valve lift but it's not going to make a night and day difference with the stock carberators and manifold. For somebody to port their own heads without a flow bench, I highly recommend that you don't attempt it. I have gotten YFZ heads in here lately that were ported by companies that run full page ads in the magazines that either flowed worse than stock or, at best, 2% better. Granted most of these companies are 2-stroke people and probably haven't even seen a flow bench but it does make you leary of sending your head off to people that you would think should know what they are doing. Hopefully, after this weekend I will have a big carb kit that will unlease these monsters, especially my 800's, and we will enter into a new realm of horsepower. One other quick note, if you look at the new BF-750, you will see that the new bigger carberators go straight into the heads without a curved manifold. Smart people them Kawasaki boys! I will also be ordering in a BF head to see if it will fit on the Prairies and the V-Forces.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks so much Mickey for clearing that up. I just couldnt remember the full details. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Mickey, do you like the aluminum electrofusion-plated cylinders on the BF?

I still can't bring myself to get one with that seat height. Kissofdeath takes me on scary steep trails.

Old 07-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Paul, Im serious when I say this, I think you "anyone" will get into trouble on the hills we ride back in VA on a BF.

Although I havent seen one, I think the KQ700 with its 1" more width, 3" lower seat height and more than 1" less overall height will be a better choice for difficult terrain. Of coarse the width can be over come with spacers and I would have some for sure if I bought the BF.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

If I thought I could get 2 inches lower by modding the seat, I would. My dealership doesn't have a BF and I don't know when I will ever see one.

I know the KQ is wider, and I don't get cuz that can be fixed. I want a twin, not that splat splat splat sound that other quads make.

I guess I shouldn't talk about the KQ because those cranky people will come back and start ragging on me.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, I wouldnt mind the splat splat splat. I just dont want another atv payment. I can have just as much fun on my ole P650 as I can with a new one and it doesnt cost me anything sitting in the garage. I feel confident I can make it run with the new guys on the block. If for some reason the 11:1 stock size piston doesnt do the job then this Winter it will go down and next Spring it will come up atleast a 750.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

KOD, man you got it all wrong.

You posted that you wanted to beat a Brute, did you not?

Bombmans p700 will stomp a brute no problem.

About 60 horses 4 the cost of jets. 10 bucks or so.

the clutch parts will cost you a little more than our sponcered stuff from Dalton.

You must have read the post about the last pull it went to.

74 mph just put the stuff in and go.

A Brute will not go over 71 without a CDI or a Dalton cover.

So do the little things and you will be ahead of most of your buddies.

Us guys up here in the north can make these twins go without Mickeys help.

Save your money and talk to us, we will help out, we dont charge a thing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
Mickey, do you like the aluminum electrofusion-plated cylinders on the BF?

I still can't bring myself to get one with that seat height. Kissofdeath takes me on scary steep trails.
Yes I like it and after I build mine and run it a few hours then I will take it apart and have it plated.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KawiTuner
KOD, man you got it all wrong
Us guys up here in the north can make these twins go without Mickeys help.

Save your money and talk to us, we will help out, we dont charge a thing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
LOL, and you get what you pay for!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Thinner head gasket for more compression?