Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2004 bayou 250 running rough, almost new

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 bayou 250 running rough, almost new

I stored my atv in my storage shed after hunting season last year (cement floor, no rodents). I was sure to put stabilizer in the gas so it didn't break down. I got it out today, started it up but when I try to wean off the choke it won't stay running. It will run at low idle for a little while then it sounds like the rpm's kick up, they run high for a couple of seconds then go back down to low idle. The problem is, if it stays at low idle for too long I hear a click and it shuts off. I tried adjusting the set screw on the carb. I can get it to stay running at a higher rpm but it still revs high every once in a while and it really sounds like the carb is set too high if I do this. I've ridden this atv for maybe a total of 2-3 hours maximum and I've pretty much babied it. Its just getting to the point where I don't smell cozmalene (?spelling) from the pipes if that gives you an idea of how little I've ridden it. Last year during hunting season it ran great. I could engage the choke, start it, wean off the choke after a minute or so and it would run at low idle with no surging or revving. Any ideas what could be going on? I don't know a whole lot about motors and don't want to mess with it too much but if its something simple like maybe a spark plug etc. then I can handle it. Please give me some feedback. I appreciate the input. Greg

Old 07-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Greg,

Hmm......In theory you would think the quad should run fine....My guess would be to check the spark plug for starters

I dont know for sure on bayou......but there might be an adjustable Idle screw which you can turn by hand.....when running, turning this gives it more gas automatically.....um its like adjusting the IDLE speed...which will prevent from stalling....

If not,

Make sure the carb is clean, drain all fluids and refill fresh....check the air filter in case...
try some simple stuff first be4 you get any worried

~CHRIS~

Old 07-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Chris, Thanks! Thats the carb "set screw" I was talking about. I can adjust that and get it to stay running but boy it sure seems to be idling awfully high and every 30 seconds or so the RPM's will rev up for a few seconds and then return to what they were. Last year, after it would idle, it ran very smoothly with very little noise. Now, when I try to close the choke it just shuts off the atv. Like I said, I can get it to run by adjusting the carb screw but it seems to be running "high" and revs up and down and just doesn't run as well as it did last year. Maybe I'm over reacting but I've got 3000 plus invested and don't want to ruin this thing. If possible, i'll replace the spark plug and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again, Greg

Old 07-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Well,

First off, adjust the Idle screw to like a neutral position, Not to high, but not to low.....

Most Atvs will stall if they are running and then the choke is put on, mine does.....what u do is turn teh choke on, then start the ATV and then let it warm up

that might do the trick.....also for the first few rides, run a thinner gas, 89 or 91 octane, for smoother operation if shes not wantin gas

~CHRIS~

Old 07-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, thats what I'm saying. If I put on the choke, let it warm up, then wean off the choke, it dies. It may run at normal idle for 5-10 seconds but then it dies. I can keep it running by adjusting the carb screw but then it seems to be running too fast. I will get a few "pops" from the exhaust and it will also occassionally rev up for a couple of seconds but if I set the screw high enough it will at least keep running. Its just confusing as he** to me since it was running perfectly last winter. I bought it in October and used it throughout deer season. I don't know if I'm helping or confusing, just trying to provide all the info. I can. Thanks, Greg

Old 07-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer

It sounds like an air problem. I would check your air filter or if thats not it adjust on the air screw if not I would take the bowl off of the carb. just to check for rust or trash. Gas these days is getting so bad even with stabalizer.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:09 AM
Range Rover

If you are gonna store your quad over an extended period of time, you must drain the fuel bowl. Stabilizers suck. Drain the bowl, disconnect the fuel line, and spray carb cleaner in the fuel inlet for the carb. get it clean and might not even be a bad idea to empty the tank.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll disconnect the fuel line and spray the carb cleaner into the carb inlet. That sounds like a pretty easy thing to try. Now, where is the air screw you are talking about kawibayou? I opened up the air cleaner last night and the air filter itself looks pretty good. Where is the air intake? I'm wondering if maybe that could be part of the problem. Thanks for the input. Greg

Old 07-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

The air intake is the part of the carb that faces the air cleaner. I think Kawibayou185 may be talking about the Idle mixture screw. It may be different on your bike, but on mine it is a tiny screw in a recess just forward of the bowl. If you didnt mess with it, this most likely is not the problem, but, if you feel the need to tinker, screw it all the way in and then back it out 2 and one half turns. This is a good starting point. Also, when I mentioned about spraying carb cleaner in the fuel inlet I was refering to what you should do when you store the bike. If you just put stabilizer in the tank and did not run the bike afterwards, you did not get any stabilizer in the bowl. You most likely have a stuck float or a plugged orifice from old fuel. It would be your best course of action to pull the carb and take it all apart and clean it well. Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Hello

Your right Alaskabayouguy I was talking about the mixture screw. I just always called it the air screw.Sorry. On my bayou its on the right hand side of the carb. dont know about yours. good luck hope you get it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2004 bayou 250 running rough, almost new