Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tire Questions for Prarie 700 Please post Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Questions for Prarie 700 Please post Opinions

I looking at buying a Prarie 700 in the next few days, and I have some questions for anyone out there about what I should do in regards to tires. I am mainly a trail rider here in Wisconsin, but I do like to hit mudpuddles. Where I ride we have less of the really gooy mud and more of the waterhole variety. The trails I ride vary from soft, to sand, hard pack, and rough rocky nobby terrain. I want a tire that will be good on trails, yet might give some extra traction in mud when encountered. I may or my not get ITP wheels as well. I really would like to keep the weight down as much as possible to not effect the the overall performance of the machine. For that reason I will stick with stock size 25X8X12's and 25X10X12's unless given a really good reason. These are my options and what I know about each tire so far:
1. Keep the stock tires. Dealer that had a 650 told me that the stock tires were pretty good and to stick with them.

2. ITP ATR Holeshots I have heard that these are very good tires and reviews seem to be good as well. I have read in other posts and been told by certain dealers that these hook-up TOO well and will hurt the 700 from wanting to turn in the corners, not powerslide. Also they may not be too good in mud, not sure on that.

3. Goodyear mudrunner radials: Good reviews. Seem to be a good balance between mud and trail, but I have heard little from people that actually have them.

4. ITP mudlites again 25 inchers so the lugs are a little less and will provide a better trail ride. I know that they are good in mud, but have read they are not so good on the trail, but I'm not sure if that is the bigger size.

5. Carlisle Badlands: I have read a couple of posts about these tires, but no real reviews.

6. Kenda Bearclaws: Read reviews stating that they work well in mud and on the trails, but I not sure.

7. Any other reccomendations that someone might have and can justify.

Thanks

Old 07-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

My favorite tires for hitting the trails and an occasional mudhole are the Maxxis All-Traks. Outstanding handling.

When I plan to get in the slop in a big way I put on my 28 inch Outlaws.

My riding preferences are too broad to try and use one tire for both types of riding.

I have used the Bearclaws. They are great for loose terrain like gravel and hard sandy trails. On firm hardpack I don't care for them as much though.

The Mudrunners are a smooth tire, but the added weight is noticeable. In the same manner that the extra weight is noticeable on the Maxxis Bighorn radials.

If you want one tire then I would consider the Mudbugs or the Mudrunners. The Mudlites are okay too, but are a tad bit too soft for my liking.

I don't have the Mudbugs, but I could let you try both the Mudrunners and the Bearclaws if we met on a trail somewhere. I have been meaning to get out and try the trails out of Pembine one of these years.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Woah! Stop! One of those tires fits in the dangerously crappy category (stock ones). Sell the stockers to someone with a slow quad or burn them.

The ATRs are most awesome on dirt and they are light for excellent handling.

The badlands are just about as good as ATRs on dirt and better in mud. These are what I have and I would get them again. They are light like the ATR.

The mudrunners are pretty dang good tire, but expensive. Also, they are kinda heavy. The weight will take the fun out of your handling. They ride pretty dang good for a mud tire.

Mudlites are good mud tires, not as good as mudrunners, but they still are heavy and ride hard compared to the XTR.

My brother has Bear Claws, they are OK as an all around tire but they fit into the slightly heavy category and stiffer ride category.

Maxxis Bighorns are a pretty good tread, but they are kinda heavy compared to the XTR.

That being said, if you ride where tire damage is a common issue do not get the XTR or the Badlands. Also, if you ride in areas where there is too much mud, lean toward mudlites, mudbugs and mudrunners.

Nobody likes heavy tires, but sometimes you have to get bigger mud tires if there is a ton of mud.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

A person could alway use a couple of sets of tires. But, if I had to choose only one set it would be something in the 25" range to take advantage of the power and sportiness the P700 has to offer.

I have the ATRs and after setting my toe-in to zero am finally satisfied with them. Although I do wish the fronts were a little narrower. I also have liked the Badland XTR ever since I seen them on the Arctic Cats last year. I have rode nyrocs set on his P650 several times and think they are a great tire and even cheaper than the ATRs. I can get a set of 4 tires for $213 out the door at my local Kawi/Pol dealer. The rears in that set are 11" wide also.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

I am very happy, (in fact my 700 has the nick-name "happy") with my P700 with mudlight 26". I think the 26", frequency thingy, and dalton springs are a very nice combo. I'm a very high milage driver and the other thing is that the odo reads low with the 26" mudlights.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the comments so far guys I really appreciate it. I think I'm leaning towards the Badlands right now, but it is a tough decision. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

just my thoughts and observations: have 650 praire with 26" gators very good mud tire not too bad on the trail, friend has praie 650 with 26" vampires, very good in mud just ok on the trail, kinda ballony looking, the gators are a flatter profile. both are very durable tires. The stock tires are a joke on the praire 650 and 700, if you ride in rocky terrain be prepared and have alot of plugs and a air compressor

Old 07-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply's so far everyone, are there any other people that have experience with the tires listed?
Also Nyroc, did you need to adjust the toe for the badlands as well? If talked about at time of purchase, do you think the dealer would be willing to adjust the toe at that time? Also a question on jetting. How do you know what settings are right for what altitudes and conditions. An example would be that my Grizzly is always running rich. My plugs become black with less than a month on them. Is that bad. I definitely loose power. Big difference between a new plug and an old one. Thanks

Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have a set of Dirt Devil XT's awesome looking tire, great grip. only problem I haven't worked out yet is at high speeds i get a shimmy. I've been after Nyroc to come over and test ride it , but he's been too busy building rocket quads LOL