Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dirt Devil Tire problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Devil Tire problems

Anyone having a problem with Dirt Devil tires, tell me your story. I contacted the company and talked to Rick in customer service. He said He has never heard of anyone having a problem with this tire. I told him I have seen several post in the forums about the Handlebar shimmy. So I have his e-mail address and I will forward your complaints, Maybe we can get some compensation or at least get it fixed. After all the DD is a great tire except for the shimmy
Thanks guys, Dan
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

This is what I got back from the guy. He is saying we are abusing the tire and altering the machine that we are using the tire in a manner it wasn't designed for. going over 30mph and on hard packed conditions. You know it isn't a MAGICAL TIRE. As you can see I am very upset by his lack of customer relation skills. And hear before I had this problem I was praising the tire in the forums. Anyone want to buy a set of wobble tires I mean Dirt Devils?

Dear Dan,
According to these posts, these people need to buy ATV street tires for hard /smooth surfaces. The Dirt Devil is an AGGRESSIVE ALL-terrain and MUD tire. Logically it will give you a rough ride and shimmy on the handle bars. ALSO this is a LOW-speed tire, this gentleman who put it on a AUTOMOBILE BALANCER SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE SO. ATV tires are not meant to be balanced since they are LOW SPEED. On top of that, any alteration of the vehicle (TO INCLUDE UPSIZING TIRES) can cause serious problems to the Engine, drivetrain, transmission and handling. Also an "out of round tire" does not cause back and forth shaking, it would cause an abnormal bouncing up and down affect. I'm sorry to say but these people are expecting a "Magical Tire" you can't get a MUD tire that is going to be super smooth on a hard surface. Same thing goes with MUD tires on Light trucks or SUV's. If you put a LT mud tire on a pick up or SUV, you'll get a harsh ride and alot of road noise. That's because it's meant for MUD not street. It is important that people research the products they buy and think about the applications they are using them for before buying what they think is cool and then complaining about the product. Of the hundreds of THOUSANDS of tires we have sold in the Dirt Devil we have never received any complaints on these tires, if there was a problem with the tire i do believe we would hear more than just 4 people. Rest assured this is a good quality tire, but if misused and abused, it will cause problems like any other product misused. Have a nice day

Randy Tsai
GREENBALL CORPORATION
2525 EL PRESIDIO ST.
LONG BEACH, CA 90810

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It was a nicely worded excuse. What a loser. Yep, he's giving you the corporate run around.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

He's WRONG. I have 35 inch mud terrains on my Jeep, and have topped 100 mph(not recommended!), with no wheel shimmy at all. Oh, by the way, you should ask him then if his tire isn't good enough for high speed, then which one is. I'll bet he won't answer that one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

SKOOTER... I don't believe that the DD tread pattern is causing your high speed shimmy... ATV tires are notoriously out of round, & out of balance... even bigger Companies like ITP have alot of problems with them... I've had the best luck, adjusting the air pressure up & down in about 1/2 lb increments, until I find the "sweet spot"... if you are unable to adjust the air pressure to eliminate the shimmy, take them in for spin balancing ( that guy is "WHACKED", concerning his spin balancing comment ) ... ( I've had better luck with the air pressure, rather than the balancing, when it comes to eliminating the shimmy, but by spin balancing, you can make sure that your wheels are straight, & if it takes one or both tires an excetional amout of weight to balance, you can call your tire supplier, & get a warrenty exchange on the tire ( OK, well maybe )... ( I hope you bought the tires at a good source, as alot of the discounters end up with these "bad" tires, & any exchange, could be the same as you currently have...

My expirience has been, that companies that make automotive & other DOT tires, have a better success rate with their tires... companies like Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Maxxis, etc... I do own several GBC tires, & haven't had any problems with them... perhaps they guy you got hooked up with is just a dink, or was having a bad day... but these guy's have no clue how powerful the forums are in both generating & preventing sales of their products...

the air pressure is critical to smoothing out some tires... I have a set of ITP ATR's, that shook my fillings out, at 45 mph... I had them mounted on a set of ITP Magnum Billet wheels ( the Billets centers are welded all the way around, so I didn't honestly know if it was the tire or the wheel )... balancing them didn't help, but I found that they would ride as smooth as glass, with 4 - 4.5 PSI, but with 5 PSI or better, they shook like crazy... I have since found that some tires will smooth out with more air, & some with less...

Good luck...Mike

Old 07-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

I guess the 700 is a lot rougher than my 650 because I had my DD 25 on my 650 it was so smooth infact it put me to sleep lots of times. Saying that my 26 mudlights are rougher but look at the tread. I think if you really want a smooth ride look at the 25, less lug still good in the rough train and they don't last as long but they are smoother. Also I found when my dealer put my 598 28" on they were not even from side to side I even them up and I think I noticed a big difference. What I'm talking about is the lugs imprint should line up. Buy the way there are magical tires on the market it comes with other names like goodyear muddrunners etc... when you have to deal with people like this. I personnelly wasn't impressed with my DD but I don't regret buying them. Tire pressure is very important.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys,I will lower my pressure,my 589s shake like you would not belive after 85kph,up over 90kph and I can't even see straight.Honestly.I have 5lbs in them now,I'l try 4.

Old 07-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks to the people of the forums I am making progress with GBC on my Dirt Devil problem. They now are open to the fact that there might be a problem with some of their tires out there. Anyone else having the handlebar shimmy caused by these tires let me know