Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ATRs

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:16 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATRs

Alot of people have asked about the ATRs...what they look like, will they affect ground clearance, etc. Here's my report...

I just got my 25" ATRs on ITP C-Series Type-6 Rims. First of all, they look great! Rims and tires...Agressive and sharp. I got 4 front rims because there is no need for a huge offset in the rears like on an SRA bike. The rims are much more offset than the stockers.

As I changed the tires I weighed them for a comparision. The stock fronts are 19 lbs./wheel and the C-Series/ATRs weigh 24lbs. per wheel. As for the back, the stocks weighed 23lbs. while the ATRs weighed 29lbs. So with this tire/rim combo, you add 22 lbs. to the Brute. Not bad.

Next I measured the clearance before and after the tire change. The Dunflops were pumped up to 5 lbs. while the ATRs were pumped to 6.5 lbs. (You have to run radials are a higher pressure than bias tires.) All measurements remained EXACTLY the same with the ATRs. 11-1/8" at the front(by the front differential drain), 13" at the rear of the frame, and 13 7/8" at the floorboards. It's an optical illusion. If you put the ATRs and Dunflops next to each other without a load, the Dunflops are clearly taller. But the Duns crush under the weight of the bike while the ATRs do not.

Next, I measured the width of the outside of the front and rear tires to see any gain in width (which the Brute needs!) Front with Dunflops- 43-5/8" Front with ATRs- 46-3/4" Rear with Dunflops-44-1/4" Rear with ATRs- 49-1/8" The ATRs with the C-Series give the extra width that we need! Over 3" in the front and almost 5" in the back. You can feel it instantly when you step onto the bike. The side-to-side roll is gone! The rears do hang out beyond the fenders, but oh well. I'll take great handling over keeping clean any day. My suggestion, before you invest in any engine mods, get new tires...the difference is night and day.

There has been concern of the some ATRs having balancing issues. I took the BF to 50+ MPH on my street with the ATRs (I don't have enough street to go faster.) No shaking at all. Balanced and right on the money.

Finally, I took before and after photos of my BF. That way you can see the width gain...and the awesome rims! ATR Pics

I will be riding about 5 hours tomorrow on the same exact trails that I rode last week...on the Dunflops. I will give a full report on any performance gains (or losses) after the ride tomorrow.

Brian

Old 07-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

How many plies to the holeshots have? Are they light weight compared to the stockers?

Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

ATRs are still 4 ply and are slightly heavier than stock tires.

scooby, you have made a great choice there with the ATRs and c-series wheels.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

Kisssofdeath, looks like between this guys wheels and that other guys seat you could create a wide brute force with a lower seat. You would have all the stability you could ever need. Plus, you would have all that BF power. I bet that would be a really good riding machine. Plus, you could just ride it without having to bore out the P650 and be down without a machine this fall.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

NYROC
Careful, you're going to talk yourself into Buying the Brute Force.
I'm fighting the urge myself.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

LOL, I got to ride the BF yesterday that beat me in the drag race. It sure is quick and fast. Its also suprisingly stable with body roll on pavement. A guy in a wheel chair bought it and brought it back. He had a P700 before and traded it in on the BF. He thought the P700 was more stable and brought the BF back to be traded to a new P700. I dont like the green color but I might make him an offer just for fun. I will offer him $6000 OTD. He will not take it but it doesnt matter. I can kill that BF with the 765 kit and have less money and a more stable and faster atv. You should take a look at that atv if you are interested in one.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Range Rover
Default ATRs

Just got done putting another 60 miles on the same trails as last week and all I can say is "Is this the same ATV that I was riding 7 days ago?" The difference is night and day. With the Dunflops, I had the spring preload at one less than the highest setting. It was still "rolly" and "smooshy" but better than the factory setting. I left it that way to start with the ATRs. At that setting it felt like the axels were welded to the frame! The Dunflops crush so much and the ATRs crush so little that the suspension was way too hard. So I dropped the preload to the middle setting (3 of 5) and I felt like I was riding a sport bike (well, as close as an IRS bike can.) Very little body roll in the corners, tight handling. Great for fast fire road-type riding. But I was riding in the mountains with lots 'o rocks, roots, and ruts so I dropped the pre-load one more notch softer (2 of 5) and hit my sweet spot. Cornering was still great and the suspension and tires ate up the bumps. There were some off-camber stuff last week that had me praying. Today, I was able to ride the exact same areas with absolute confidence. No roll, no tippiness. It climbed like a champ, and braked very well. I cannot over-emphasize the difference these tire make. It's a shame that the reviews are based on the BF as stock. With the ATRs, you have a great handling ute with incredible power. Yeehaw.

Brian

Old 08-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

Thanks for the report on the ATRs, scoobybri.

Now there is nothing standing in the way of Kisssofdeath getting a BF. Kod, if you get one I will get one too. I will even drive a few hours to get it cheaper. I think I want red again. I don't want green or camo. If the yellow was real brite yellow, I would want that. Lime green would be good too. Maybe lime is coming (thru Mike P).

Old 08-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

I hear ya. Nothing standing in between me but money and the fact that I dont need one. I wouldnt mind having one but I dont have a money tree growing so it wont be happening anytime soon. Im not an impulse buyer and am glad Im not, if I was I would probably have an ugly looking green BF750 in my garage beside my beloved P650.

You are the one with nothing standing in your way. No wife, no kids, no 800+ mortgage payment ect. I see Paul Weese wrote all over the BF750. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATRs

I may have the cash for a BF already, but I wrote the book on not being an impulse buyer so it is gonna take me a while before a quad purchase happens.

Quick Reply: ATRs