Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

camping trip from hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camping trip from hell

I went camping in the boonies with my 650 and my walking beam trailer yesterday. Day starts out not too bad. Blasting down a fire road and happen to glance back at my trailer. My spare tire carrier and chainsaw mount are gone! Burn a 180 and begin the search. Find the whole assembly laying in the ditch with my saw a little worse for wear. No big deal. Bungee it to the rack and off I go again. Get to the lake and unpack all my stuff. Do a little fishin (got skunked), so I decide to set up camp and have a cold one. Pull out my tent that my son has been using all summer and notice that their is a tear running the entire length of the one side. I am in alpine country and the bugs will pack you off up there if you don't have someplace to get away from them. Now I'm mad. Pack all my crap back into the trailer and head for home. The trail is fairly nasty and I am crawling down some rocks and logs when I look back to see if the trailer wheels are gonna miss a huge boulder on my left. The front tire on my quad on the right crawls up on a log and before I know what the hell is happening, over goes the whole damn thing. So I'm laying in the logs and rocks thinking god hates me, when I notice that my trailer is still on it's wheels, but my quad is upside down. I throw my wheeler back on it's wheels and yell at the trees for a couple minutes while the oil in my quad is seeping back down where it should be. Check the damage. Bent brushguard on my one handlebar and a few scratches in the plastic. I have a look at the hitch on my trailer and notice that the little part inside the hitch that clamps onto the ball is all bent to hell. Grab some tools and do my best to get the damn thing to where it will lock onto my hitch ball. Drive out of the nasty trail stuff and tie-in to the main fire road. I'm cruising about 60 kms down this road, about 2 kms from my truck, thinking I'll be lucky to get home alive, when a damn bird comes smoking out of the bush and hits me right in the chest. I'll tell ya. I shoulda just stayed home and drank beer. On the plus side, I made it home without getting a ticket (not like I was doing anything wrong but with the way my luck was going-------).

Old 08-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer

How do you like your 26" 589's

Are they pretty bumpy on access roads

Go over rocks very good

wish you got 27's

Old 08-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

lol,damn..i still would rather have the worst day riding than the best day working..the fishin and beer are just gravy on the biscuit..lol

Old 08-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Wildrides, I like the 589s. Not too great on rocks. They are fairly stiff rubber compound so they don't grab the rocks too good. Not too lumpy for access roads. The 26"s are just fine. They make it through just about anything you point them at.

Metalikev, that was the worst ride I've ever been on!! The whole day really sucked. If I would have caught some fish, that would have made it better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Range Rover

Mastrblastr,
Somedays a diamond, somedays a stone. Adversity breeds character. Thanks for the story, glad you took it in stride, we all have our share of those days. Regards, Jerico1

Old 08-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

bummer day,,,,,still beats a day of work[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Find a buddy,s$#t happens,that bike could have sealed your fate.Sounds like my luck,be careful.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Heyyou, I got lots of buddies, but I just felt like being by myself. I do that now and again. If my machine wanted to kill me, it would have had to try way harder than that!!!

Old 08-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Good story, It will be one to remember. Now all your other excursions will be tame in comparison. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

i had a hell of a camping trip- fisher catholic high school football camp at dillion dam state park outside of zanesville.(we werent allowed to bring any motorized vehicles) spent 4 days there. got there thursday left today(sunday) and ran the whole time. a total of about 50 some miles. then on the second night (friday night) there was a huge rain storm. 60mph winds with lightning, flash floods and, a tornado touch down in the area. my 8 person tent (consisting of me and my riding buddy) had 6 1 1/2 foot holes in my tent and the ceiling leaked. all of our clothes got soaked. it really sucked.
plus the whole area was infested with skunks. we had a little battle goin on with them.
but i was with friends so i wasn to bad

Quick Reply: camping trip from hell