Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

In a dilema and need some help with hydrolocking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a dilema and need some help with hydrolocking.

Well I own a 2002 Kawasaki 650 Prairie and I was driving around one night and decided to do a little powerbraking(dumb move on my part) and I let off the brake way too quick and ran into a pond. The engine was submerged, however the muffler didn't see any water. I had to think quick because it started to sink and I thought if I could start it and back it out I would be in business. Well I started it and it ran but quickly sputtered to a halt. I got a tractor and pulled it out, let it sit overnight got water out of the airbox and sprayed to carbs with a couple shots of starting fluid. It started and would run, but it would run right. Say I was going 10 mph I would open it up and it would just rev and go nowhere, I thought it might be the transmission fluid. I got out and checked the oil and it is a milky white. So now what I need to know is that I have left it out for about a week I plan on changing out all the oils and fluids, I bought a new k&n air filter and oil filter. I have never changed the oil or anything on this four-wheeler and I'm a noob at all of this I need some help if you guys could help a lazy man out with some pointers and if my motor will lock that would be fantastic. And for all of those who read this I really do appreciate it. Thank you.
-Kendan

Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

No transmission fluid in a Prairie; it's driven by a belt (which is now wet). DON'T drive it!!! Change the oil immediately! Start it up after changing it and let it run for a couple of minutes, then change it again. Continue to do this until there is no more milkyness. Change the front and rear diff fluids. Remove the clutch cover to let everything dry out. Open the drain screws on the carbs to drain all the gas. If you let it set for a week, the clutches could be badly rusted by now.
Do a search on this topic, it's been covered before.
A question - what do you mean by "I hope my motor will lock"?

Old 08-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

So you are saying , you have a 2002 650 prairie, and you have never changed the oil ? I hope to the Quad Gods you didnt buy this thing new.