Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to get dilema????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to get dilema????

We do two types of riding. In the cool months we ride the deserts, where the sport bikes are king. For those who aren't really familiar with desert, it isn't all just a bunch of sand dunes. (In fact, large dune complexes are rare, and mostly you have to drive long distances to even find them.) This includes open cross-country type riding, but also a fair amount of trails. Snow and mud are nonexistent, so a 2wd sport quad is all you need. Unless you go out deliberately looking for terrifying terrain, a big heavy 4X4 just holds you back.

In the hot months, we switch to high altitude mountain riding. Mud isn't much of a factor, but there can be snow in the early spring and late fall. Lots of stream crossings, and lots of rocky semi-technical and some full-on technical terrain. A 4X4 is a big help, but a skilled rider on a 2wd with high clearance, can get by most of the time.

So, here is what I'm thinking. We have two early teen boys, and our 250EX has worked out well for them. Being based on the Recon, it will do anything any 2wd utility quad will do (some things better, because it is 50 pounds lighter!). It fits both our riding worlds, because it has descent ground clearance and shaft drive for those mountain water crossings, yet it performs well in the desert. So, I'm thinking about another 250EX so each boy has his own quad. I had considered a 300EX (loved the one I had years ago), but it doesn't have the clearance of the 250.

The bigger dilema is that we need another adult size 4X4 quad for the mountains. I am absolutely not a fan of the big heavy utilities! Most of them show way to much of their "farm work tractor" heritage, and in a rollover these monsters are an absolute death trap. I want to keep things as light and sporty as possible! Our Rancher 350 (with Warn 424) is an excellent machine, but still to big, heavy, and utilitarian for my taste. I had great hopes for the new version of the Yamaha Wolverine, but I really don't think Yamaha took the concept of a light sporty 4wd nearly far enough. And, I have never liked the belt drive automatics even a little bit.

So, would a Wolverine cut it for mountain riding, or am I better off just getting another Rancher???? Is the Wolverine geared low enough to handle the slow nasty technical stuff? It's a bit lighter than the Rancher, but not much. What if the belt drive automatic gets wet during a water crossing??? The Rancher has an excellent torque sensing front axle, but what does the Wolverine have, just an open differential??? How will it do in the snow? Is the Wolverine actually "sporty" enough to double as a desert quad??? Anybody have an informed opinion???

Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Wolverine. You won't be sorry. I love mine. For all that you mentioned, it would be perfect.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Wayne,
Long time no talk. I bought an 06 Wolverine for my Girlfreind a few months ago. She likes the auto tranny and the floorboards. It does ride good and has OK power. It could use a pipe and really needs a clutch kit. When you hit the gas, the power rolls on. It is not an instant hit as my V force. We ride mainly deserts and lots of sand. It climbs the sand hills better in 4X4.
I will try paddles next season.
See ya on the trails!
Eric

Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

And also, it is an open front dif. So you know what to expect there. The gearing is good for slow rock riding. And I have had it stuck in the snow, only due to it being TOO DEEP!
The top speed in stock trim is only 52 or so. Works well in the desert.