Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Performance Exhaust Wrap Thoughts>?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Exhaust Wrap Thoughts>?

I wrapped my HMF Penland Exhaust with Thermotec Graphite Black, Because not only is there no heat shield, I Thought it looked kind of Hot Rod!~lol. It should help with flow and keeping the heat away from the engine and me a bit? I haven't been able to take her on her maiden voyage yet, but my guess is I wont see any real change in performance? Also the thought of maybe the wrap making the quad a little quieter is out the window, Because after running it for some time to let the wrap set, It seems to sound about the same? After talking to Thermotec I'm now wondering if this is a one time try? The challenge with running wrap on an ATV is riding conditions. Conditions can make the wrap wear fast and when the wrap gets wet it has a tendency to hold moisture in, Meaning rust and corrosion can set in on the pipes! So If you ride a lot of rain, mud, dust etc. The wrap should be change twice a year if not more? Will see how this first run holds up? Also If your thinking of trying it? I would pass on the Graphite Black, The black fiber glass pigments are VERY messy! Not to mention itchy, So don't wear shorts!~lol. The black also cost more and even those it looks a little cooler I guess? Price can add up if you need to change it a few times a year? Or you might me like me, and just give it a try and see if you really need it at all?? ~coop

If your running or have run exhaust wrap on your ATV, what are your thoughts??

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
Team Green Plastic
Progressive Springs
OMF Beadlocks
Maxxis Big Horns
Dyna CDI
EPI Pink Spring
Twin Air Filter
HMF Penland Exhaust
exhaust wrap
>
Vcams
4* key
on the way!
Oh and a Bunch of other Toyz

Old 08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

As you probably know I have Moroso brand header wrap on mine. I am extremely satisfied with the results I have gotten from this. I dont have any performance gains and the sound is still the same but my wife loves me more now because her legs dont get has hot as before. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I can also tell a small difference in the fan running "although it still runs a lot".

As far as rust goes....only time will tell what happens there. The other alternative to the muffler wrap is having your pipes Jet-Hot coated. I have a price to do our system inside and out with their jet-hot sterling coating for $75. They will do the canister for an extra $25. It will cost roughly $45 for shipping to and from them. So for approx. $145 you can have new looking pipes and a muffler with all the other gains listed on their website. Im giving serious consideration to this, this Winter, just depends on how the pipes look after I remove the wraps.

I dont know though, I may do it when I install my new pistons and cams here shortly. Personally I think that chrome look on such a big canister as the stock one is would look awesome.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

I did my DG pipe with the jet-hot coating. Very nice looking and a lot cooler. I haven't noticed any major performance gains.
I would recommend them + they will recoat your pipe once if your not satisfied.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

The wrap will rust your pipe out if it gets wet. I had it for a while but I wash my quad a lot and it was a problem. Someone with a honda posted that their pipe looked like swiss cheese after running the wrap for a year. You can get the ceramic coating done at airborne cheaper than jet hot. they did my whole pipe except canister inside and out for 45 bucks.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard that rust can take place on wet exhaust wrap like that. If mine did rust then I would be forced to buy the full system HMF [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL.

The more I think about it the more I like this Jet hot or similar coating. Where is the ceramic coating place at?

Old 08-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I can just about guarantee you there is one in the charlotte area. There was one in Salt lake city, which is smaller than charlotte by a long shot.

I made a custom header once and had it coated. That stuff is absolutely awesome. It is pretty tough, but can be scratched. However, it wouldn't peel, fade, flake. It was just awesome.

You might call Precision Performance Coatings in huntersville, 704-948-9000 Even if they don't do it, they might know who does. Also, the automotive performance stores might know where to go. I just asked a speed shop in Ogden, Utah, and they told me to go to a place in Salt Lake City.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

http://www.airborncoatings.com/homepage.html

The charlotte location has moved to Mount Holly, NC

Old 08-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. I, for one, will be contacting these places.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

I just sent my exhaust out to be Jet-Hot coated. I should have it back Monday the 16th of August. A night to reinstall, and I will post the results. I am having the complete pipe as well as the muffler and heat shields coated. I would not recommend any other manufacturer, Jet-Hot has done multiple pipes for both me and my brother, with never a problem. Also, their warranty is awesome. Good luck containing the heat on these fire breathing beasts!!!!

Old 08-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I checked several online coating businesses today and none of them compare to Jet-Hot in price. Some of them didnt have warranties and some didnt match Jet-Hot temps protection. From what I have seen Im done looking. When and if I do this I will send mine to Jet-Hot. I already have an order form with the price quote. I will be doing my complete system also.

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust Wrap Thoughts>?