Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

gaff, clover, 98lakota, big chris, bayou/lakota owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 04:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gaff, clover, 98lakota, big chris, bayou/lakota owner

gaff,
i remember reading a post awhile back about someone with the same problem as me but cant remember the title of it. the problem is i took the clutch apart on my friends bayou 300 to put in kg clutch plates, but when i put the clutch back together i could move the plates inside the basket easily. when i took it back apart i found that i could put the plates onto the clutch hub and then put the pressure plate on the hub, and they would fit together fine. But when i tried to put the hub and pressure plate onto the housing, the hub and p plate would not fit together all the way. whats the problem here? are the plates on wrong?
if so what is the correct way to put them on..............do the numbers on them mean anything?

clover, 98 lakota,
i know you guys are good with clutches. what do you think is wrong??

thanks

Old 08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Alright so your problem is there loose in the basket once you get them in.Here's what your supposed to do when putting the plates back in, first soak the new plates in oil,then you start with putting in a friction plate first and then a clutch plate,you keep alternating between the two until you got them all in.Then you align all friction tabs together,and then install your pressure plate onto the clutch hub and make sure the index mark on the pressure plate aligns with the mark on the clutch hub.If this isn't your problem just let me know.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Hey what i'm talking about is the friction plates (them are the metal ones)once there all in with the clutch plates you need to line all the friction plates up together.Once there all in and lined up,then put on your presure plate on top.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

ok, here is what i did. First i put the plates onto the clutch hub and aligned them(started with a friction, and ended with a friction). Then i put the pressure plate on the hub with the index marks lines up and they both fit together perfect. The problem is when i try to put the clutch hub,plates,and pressure plate assembly back into the clutch housing. The pressure plate and clutch plates will go all the way in, but the hub wont. Same thing happens when i take the clutch housing off and put it flat on the ground.

Do the notches on the end of the tabs on the clutch plates meen anything.......or the numbers(they are kg plates) I have tried aligning them with the notches in a straight row, but no luck.

Old 08-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think i've ever had this problem,so your lining everything up like you should.Let me look into it a little more and see if there is anything else i'm missing.

Old 08-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Its showing in the book that you have to put on one clutch spring temporarily when puting the hub,plates back into the housing.I'm not sure what this does,i can't really remember if i did this or not.Do you have a repair manual? (if you have a repair manual you'll see what i'm talking about)

Old 08-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Alright hey i see you have service manual,now turn to page 199 and you'll see in figure 52 that they put on one spring (i guess to hold the clutch hub on better)this may help you.I wish i could remember if i did this or not,there so much stuff in there its hard to remember.Well if this doesn't help,maybe gaff or 98 can help,because it should slide right on if you have everything lined up.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

ok, i will try using the spring. I was just wondering.....do you know if the numbers on the clutch plates mean something. And is there any special way the friction plates need to go on, like putting the numbers up or down? some of them have #5 and others have #6 (all have the #140 on them)

Also,I noticed when i removed the stock friction plates that the notches on the tip of each tab were not lined up......should they have been?
sorry for so many ?'s

Old 08-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

i have a ? i got my KG clutch today and should i use two stock springs and two from the kit or just use all 4 from the kit

Old 08-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey tmaxx,i don't think them numbers mean anything,because it doesn't say they have to be numbered are nothing.I'm pretty sure your doing everything right,so you need to just double check everything and make sure it isn't some little thing holding you back.If you got anymore questions just let me know.

Newduck,its best to use all four.

Quick Reply: gaff, clover, 98lakota, big chris, bayou/lakota owner