Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BruteForce owners, 4wd and heat problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BruteForce owners, 4wd and heat problems?

In my review post on the BruteForce I covered a couple of problems I am having, I'm reposting here since many people probably didn't read the entire lenghty post.

My wifes Brute will not engage into 4wd if you are in reverse, if you are in low or hi with 4wd engaged and then you go into reverse it will stay engaged, but you cannot initialy engage 4wd in reverse, my praire 650 and 360 will engage.

The heat from the left side of the engine burns your leg if you are under 10 miles per hour for an extended period of time. There is not as much shielding as my 650 and the 650 does not get hot like this one does. My wife ended up with heat blisters through her pants, we had to keep pouring water on her pants to keep the burning down.

Any other Brute owners have these problems?

Jerry

Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

I just got my BF thursday, and I just checked if it would go into 4-wheel drive in reverse it will not, but it does seem to engage quicker than my P650 does. I also noticed the heat it was about 95 deg I rode it in my shorts for a bout 2 hr some of it was real slow stuff, but I did not get blistered. I do agree it is much hotter on the left side than P650, but in a way that is good for the engine and cvt that heat needs to get out of there, but I don't want to get burnt either. I did not notice it as much on the next ride had on thin camo pants.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

i think the reverse thing is normal. mine gets hot but it really didnt bother me much at all

Old 08-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My BF also puts the heat out at the real slow poking along 4x4L speeds but not enough to burn me. My Cat 650 also put out this heat.
Not sure on the Reverse engagment as I am usually already in 4x4 when I go into reverse.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

Mine gets hot too, the first mod I did was header wrap and water wetter.Header heat wrap is COOL.

Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mine doesnt engage in reverse either. Also if you try to engage when in soft stuff some times it gives me trouble and will engage with a loud knock. Hot left side on mine also. the heat shield actually came loose and fell off the first week i had it, so i used lock tite on the bolts.

Old 08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Does the BF have a fan in front? A fan would / should keep heat off the legs.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Does the BF have a fan in front? A fan would / should keep heat off the legs.
There is a fan behind the radiator that cools the air passing through the radiator core, I wonder if with the larger displacement 750 there is less metal in the block compared to my 650 and that attributes to the faster tranfer of heat through the block?? I too have had the pipe shroud come loose. With the heat i'm seeing I'm worried about warping the camo plastic or the airbox above.

I assumed that the 4wd accuator would be the same as my 360 and 650 and would behave the same, since it doesn't I assume that it's a "new and improved" version.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I was told the reverse 4x4 thing was a safety percaution that will be implimented with all atv's at some point. Apparently there were some lawsuits against some of the manufactures from people spinning in reverse, switching to 4x4 and throwing them over the handlebars. Trying to make everything idiot proof I guess.... I wonder if you hold down the reverse override you can engage it?

As far as the heat, try some synthetic oil and water wetter!!!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

My 4wd does not engage in reverse either sounds like its part of the engineering. The heat on the left side is worse on the brute than on my Prairie but did not seen to burn.
Tonto

Quick Reply: BruteForce owners, 4wd and heat problems?