Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute force in the mud and water

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004 | 10:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Brute force in the mud and water

Man, all this water talk...what the hell are you guys driving through? The Lake?

I have been through some fairly deep water, albeit at slow speeds, and my airbox is as dry as the desert. What's the scoop? Are you hitting the water like a madman? How deep is it? How liong are you in the water?

I personally only go through water if I absolutely have to. Deep mud is OK, deep water is usually NOT OK. Plus, I have that silly fear of tipping over in a creek and getting pinned by the Brute. Yeah, that's dumb to think that, but my cautiousness keeps me in check and my machine out of harms way.

Mike

Old 11-11-2004 | 04:57 PM
BKK
Trailblazer

The water I was in wasn't that deep. Yes we did splash but I didn't sink it or turn it over. I was with a Kawasaki 650 and a suski 550 and they didn't have any problems. I mean its an ATV that's what it is for, if I wanted to just ride around I would have bought a golf cart.

Old 11-11-2004 | 08:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BKK
The water I was in wasn't that deep. Yes we did splash but I didn't sink it or turn it over. I was with a Kawasaki 650 and a suski 550 and they didn't have any problems. I mean its an ATV that's what it is for, if I wanted to just ride around I would have bought a golf cart.
I hear ya.... it's an ATV. Just havent seen it on mine, I must be "wussing" it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 11-11-2004 | 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

I must be one of the lucky ones myself , I have been slow through a hole that came to the top of the fenders and I went through a concrete culburt that was about 1/8 a mile long and had about 4inches of water in it and I was hydoplaneing at speeds of around 30 to 35, if water was going to splash in it would have done it then, I checked my air box and it was dry as it could be, I had a Honda Rubicon that would never been able to wet through the water as fast as my brute did , it was bad about taking in enough water to quit , I would have to stop and drain the air box. There was a KQ there and it did well also.

Old 11-14-2004 | 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Ditto!
I had my front and rear fenders under, no water at all in the airbox, only a slight film of dust. He may want to check the gasket around the airbox.

Old 11-14-2004 | 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

I never had any problems with my BF in deep water either....

Old 11-15-2004 | 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Since I posted last on this thread I have been in water up to the racks and actually floated it through a truck made mud hole and have yet to get any mud or water in my airbox,the mud hole was at least 40 feet across and it was really soupy very thin mud,over at highlifters in the Scott's picture section there pictures of Brians brute in action check them out he's in some deep mud even shows pictures after he flipped it in the mud and they claim no problems and no kind of mods have been done to the airbox its completly stock.

Old 11-15-2004 | 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

...............bbertram wrote..
When you got water in your air box, it also got into the oil ..................

well, not always.

Old 11-15-2004 | 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: colt77
...............bbertram wrote..
When you got water in your air box, it also got into the oil ..................

well, not always.

Not always but it will most likely get into the oil. The crankcase has a hose going to the airbox to return any oil that gets pushed into the airbox back into the crank case. When you get enough water in the airbox it will get past the air filter and into the crankcase hose, thats how water gets into your oil.

I don't know how people don't get water into their airbox, I have found leaves, grass, straw, etc in my airbox. Hammer on the throttle and air sucks into the airbox like a vacuum, it takes water, debris, etc and sucks it up. Go into water up the front fenders slowly, put the hammer down for a few minutes and ride in the water like a mad man and then tell me you get no water in the airbox. When I say hammer down I mean full throttle and play HARD!

Old 11-15-2004 | 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

Guys this sounds crazy but I tried to get water in my airbox today,just to see what ya'll talking about. I rode in the creek went in a deep hole up to the racks, then ran as fast as I could down a straight away in water up to my floorboards and I got wet!! and its cold outside,I went through our mudhole locked the front turned the wheels side to side now I'm wet and muddy.When I got out of the mudhole I looked in the airbox and it was dry,So when I got back to the house I hosed it off and sprayed water from the hose directly at the airbox area from both sides of the bike and still it was dry inside.You can call BS if you want to but if you get water in your airbox that easy SOMETHING is missing .
I've heard several say that they could see their filter through the front of the airbox well mine has a cheezzy piece of clear looking plactic rubber material on the frame under the airbox opening and then theres a cap looking thing over the opening where the only way water could get in there is if you completly sermerge the bike under water and if that happens I don't care what you ride its gonna happen.
I'm not trying to start trouble I'm just telling you to check your ride compare it to others a the dealership JUST MAYBE somthing is missing on your I really can't see how water gets in there just by running through 6" of water.

Quick Reply: Brute force in the mud and water