Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute force in the mud and water

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute force in the mud and water

I had a guard in front of my airbox, the CVT and airbox both drew the air from this guard. I also have a rubber material under this guard that sits above the engine.

As far as I know thats all their is for protection.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Maybe everybody who is getting water in the air box needs to drive in deeper water! We had 3 BF's and my old P650 out for a day of mud and water. After probably 30 winch pulls from the mud and water. Only one Brute got any moisture in the box. You can see from the pictures which one that might have been. It did require a couple oil changes before continuing on to finish the day. We also cleaned the atv's in the Red River by driving as fast as the current would allow us go in 2 1/2' - 3' of water. I hope someone can come to a conclusion as to why some get water in them and other don't. Then maybe Kawasaki will provide the unfortunate with a better factory snorkle and an upgrade to the fortunate. BF mud pics

Old 11-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

Dude those pictures are CRAZY COOL and if you run any bike out there in a hole like in picture #3 without a snorkel its gonna get water in it I don't care who you are.Awesome pictures and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one not having a problem.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BigRanchN
Awesome pictures and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one not having a problem.
Yep, great pics and I also seem to have NO problem with water. I still believe that water in the airbox is caused by hitting a ditch or rut at high speed where the front end dips down and a big splash follows. I drove through a freekin water channel last night for about a half hour...at LOW speed and there is no issue whatsoever.

Seeing some of the photos, it is pretty obvious that this "water in the airbox" phenomenon is 95% rider choice.

Mike

Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Snorkle required for that water? I don't think so, my P650 would go in water and mud like that and not have any problems. The Brute is taller and should not suck in water but it does.

You mention you went into the water channel at LOW speed, thats the problem. Put the hammer down and water will be in your air box. Some of us ride differently, I like having the hammer down and spinning my tires, its fun to me. Some people like to ride a little slower and have no problems. My P650 was rode just as hard and water never got in the airbox, that means its a bad design which should have never made it out to the public.

The Brute was a rushed quad, there is no question about it. They obviously never tested the damn thing much, especially in winter. Get the quad wet, let it sit outside and the rear brake freezes on, the cable is the problem. Also the key ignition freezes up, it won't turn. I know its the depth of water I play in but again these problems were not present on the P650.

Just another example of companies getting lazier everyday.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: bbertram
Snorkle required for that water? I don't think so, my P650 would go in water and mud like that and not have any problems. The Brute is taller and should not suck in water but it does.

You mention you went into the water channel at LOW speed, thats the problem. Put the hammer down and water will be in your air box. Some of us ride differently, I like having the hammer down and spinning my tires, its fun to me. Some people like to ride a little slower and have no problems. My P650 was rode just as hard and water never got in the airbox, that means its a bad design which should have never made it out to the public.

The Brute was a rushed quad, there is no question about it. They obviously never tested the damn thing much, especially in winter. Get the quad wet, let it sit outside and the rear brake freezes on, the cable is the problem. Also the key ignition freezes up, it won't turn. I know its the depth of water I play in but again these problems were not present on the P650.

Just another example of companies getting lazier everyday.

Good points, bbertram. I hear ya and it is obvious that the Brute was not field tested at length.

Yep, I'd rather spin and go crazy in the water just like you do. Guess I'm willing to not do that to avoid the dreaded airbox disaster.

Either way, Kawi should have figured that people *might* take this thin through some water and crap.

BTW: I've watched your videos over and over and they are great every time.... keep up the killer site!

Mike