Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie strut swap to BF a-arms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie strut swap to BF a-arms?

Is this possible? I really don't like the MacPherson struts on my Prairie and I'd like to change them over to a dual a-arm suspension set up like what is on the Brute Force. Has anyone considered doing this?

Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Me and a few other guys have been thinkin about doing this, but I have decided to just get an IRS machine now instead of mess with my P650.

It would take a lot of time and effort too, which I guess I don't have a whole lot of time.

The easiest and most expensive way to go is to use the BF suspension, axle, knuckle, and possibly brakes if required.

The cheapest method would be to mod the stock knuckle for an upper a-arm, and lengthen the lower arm so you could move the lower ball joint out a little to improve the steering geometery. The ower ball joint mount on the knuckle would have to be moved a bit. That would take more effort.

Brackets would need to be welded to the frame either way you go.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

a few of us were looking at doing a project like this... several weeks ago... kind of put on hold, until the Brutes were out & parts lists available... If NYROC was still interested in doing this, It could be pretty easily done, but mat not be cost effective...

Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

DANG !!! That NYROC is fast... he should be a racer...LOL...

Old 08-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I ride a bit cautiously. Kisssofdeath and everyone else he has ridden with is better than I am.

I guess I don't suck at riding, since I have seen a lot of worse riders.

Are you sure that you and mastr, and jmach can't get it all planned out? I might be tempted to do it, but I just never have any time to spare to work on it. I am afraid that I won't have the time until next april.

I have time on the forum because I am at work waiting for a call or lunch or something.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like the easiest fix for the crappy Prairie MacPherson struts is to go aftermarket and upgrade to the Progressive front suspension. Are there any other manufactures that make aftermarket struts for the Prairie?

Old 08-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Works makes a really trick set of struts that are brushed aluminum or stainless ( don't remember ), & they set them up for your weight, the weight of the quad, & your riding style ( A -MAN ) on this forum has the 1st set I have heard about, & has nothing but good things to say about them... however they don't come with springs, so you need to either use the non adjustable stock springs, or the Progressive or Elka springs...