Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

ITP C-Series and 589's on my BF750!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP C-Series and 589's on my BF750!!!!!

Just put the ITP C-series (style 5) wheels and ITP 589 tires on my BF750. The difference is VERY noticeable even just riding it around the block. It is MUCH more stable and it turns easier believe it or not. This is with about 4lbs of air in the 589s (ran 5 in the stock Dunflops...).
FYI the wheels are a 4/110 bolt pattern with a 5/2 offset. Tires are stock size (25-8-12 front and 25-10-12 rear).
My stance is wider by about 2.5"-3".
I've had the tires before on my other quad, but not the wheels. I'm curious about how the cast alums will last and handle the abuse....

Old 08-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

Cool. I really want to try the 589's this winter, not sure if the funds will allow right now. I may have to run the Brute with the stockers for awhile. Can you post a few pics ???

Old 08-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Range Rover

To be honest, I'm not sure how to post pics to this sight. I have a digital camera, but I've never tried to post pics to a forum. I don't see facilities for just attaching them like you would to an e-mail.
I'd alos like to change my icon to a pic but haven't put the effort into figuring that out either.
Any ideas??

Old 08-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Not a problem Mike. Click on the "profile" key and then scroll down to avatar to change it. To post the pics here, click on "My Page", there are instructions for uploading pics. They have to be sized no larger than 750x750. You should have the ability on your pc by using the software that the camera came with.

Old 08-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

I am buying tires and c series rims for my BF. I was trying decide on the model of tire, I called itp and they told me Mud Lite would be a good option for the BF. How do the 589's compare? I am looking for more stability. Why did oyu choose 25's or say 26's? Thanks!

Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I have 27” 589’s for my Grizzly and they bite hard. They are great for the mud and the snow and I’ll put them on for the winter season or if I plan to ride in an area that involves a lot of mud. They will go places in 2wd that the stock tires need 4WD for. On the down side they are very stiff and deliver a harsher ride. They also don’t have any tread at all on the side of the tires, so given those faults I only put them on for specific purposes.

I have ITP C-Series wheels on the Grizzly too and I gained nearly 4” of width because of the offset. The only problem is that the offset has the tires sticking out more, past the fenders where the edges are turned down and over hard bumps (especially on the lower edge of the fender) the larger tires would rub, plus with the tires going out past the fenders you get a lot more mud thrown on you (unless you add an over-fenders fender extension). I don’t know if the Brute would have the same problem or not (tire rubbing) because it appears to have slightly more fender clearance than the Grizzly, and it has less suspension travel too.

Personally I think my Brute feels at least as stable in stock form as my Grizzly does with the wider stance and I’m contemplating getting an extra set of stock wheels to mount larger tires on so I’ll get more stock fender protection. I’m going to try 26” GBC Dirt Devils (like I have for general purpose trail riding on the Grizzly). They bite well, more than stockers but not as aggressively as 589’s. I found the DD’s to be a good compromise for the Grizzly because I would get good traction yet I could still spin the tires and power slide when I want too. Since the Brute has the same traction grabbing IRS feature I think they will work equally as well on that machine too.

I tried ATR Holeshots on the Grizzly and they tracked really well and were excellent for general purpose trail riding. They had excellent traction in everything except snow and deep mud (when compared to DD’s and especially the 589’s). The only thing I didn’t like about the ATRs is that the traction was too good, specifically the lateral grip which allowed it to stay put on off cambers, but also made it hard to power slide (and being able to do that is important to me because I enjoy spirited trail riding and being able to throttle steer on demand). Perhaps the extra power of the Brute would allow the ATRs to slide better because it would be easier to break the tires loose but the tread pattern does seem to resist sliding sideways (certainly more than the Dirt Devils). I find the stock tires with their smaller cleats to have a similar lateral gripping ability (but not as strong as the ATRs) so changing to the DD’s should make it easier to slide around...

As for what size to get, the smaller the tire the less power is required to move the quad (kind of like gearing it down). Taller tires give you more ground clearance (and a higher center of gravity) but they give you more tread too, as the tread depth is generally significantly deeper when you go from 25” to 26” and above, even on the same brand / model of tire. I found the 26” size to be a good compromise for general purpose trail riding use...

Old 08-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

I put type 5 c-series and 27" Mudlites on my Brute and this set-up is awesome, I gained ground clearence and width I didn't measure before I installed them but now I have over 50" of width in the rear this makes for a much more stable ride and feel.BTW my brother-in-law has always run 589's and his says he'll have a set of Mudlites next he likes the way they hook up on the trail.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:19 AM
Trailblazer

I am thinking about the same combo but with 26's and series 5 rim. With kind of "grip" are you able to do power slides on trails?

Another questions, either on stock or these new tires to you have yank hard to run a wheelie?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2004, 03:34 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

The “V” tread of the Dirt Devils (for instance) once you get them spinning seem to slide sideways very predictably with a little help. To initiate a slide just apply some lateral force as you begin to enter the turn by jerking your rear end and your upper thigh that is on the inside of the turn towards the outside of the turn at the same time as you lean forward and slightly towards the inside of the turn as you are punching the throttle (but be prepared to counter steer and back off the throttle just a little to prevent it from sliding too much).

The jerking movement with your lower body helps the rear end move (slide) towards the outside of the turn. Leaning forward helps to unload some weight off of the rear wheels. Shifting your upper body towards the inside of the turn as it’s going forward helps to counter the effect of centrifugal force wanting to tip the quad towards the outside of the turn. Punching the throttle causes the wheels to break loose if the conditions are right and the lateral force produced by your lower body will move the quad sideways as the tires are spinning.

All of that is done in the blink of an eye and pretty much simultaneously. It sounds complicated but becomes a natural movement with a little bit of practice. It does require a little more body English to get the slide started on an IRS machine (you can practice on wet grass which requires less effort if you have a place to ride where you can do that) but they will slide and the right tire will make the process easier to accomplish. In my experience with the Grizzly the knobby tread type tires (like ATRs) and the stock Brute tires seem to resist sliding sideways even when spinning and the IRS amplifies this resistance (because of improved traction characteristics). As for the stock tires on the Brute I can throttle steer with it, but it’s more of a sudden snap rather than a gentle slide (with the type of terrain I’ve been on so far with it).

I don’t “run” wheelies, but I do like to pop the front end up over trail obstacles. In high range (both on the Grizzly and the Brute) I’m generally standing in preparation to avoid the shock of the rear wheels going over the obstacle) then just before reaching the obstacle I push my rear end back as I give the handlebars a jerk at the same time as I punch the throttle and up she comes. However in low range I found that my Brute will easily raise the front end just by punching the throttle (in a normal sitting position without having to jerk the handlebars at all). It seems to keep on coming up as long as you keep the throttle pinned (and traction is decent). Mine is not broken in yet and seems to be getting stronger each time I take it out. I wouldn’t be surprised if my Brute will end up being able to wheelie as easily in high range as it does in low now once it is broken in...

Old 09-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

I had ITP 27" 589 tires M&S c-series aluminum rim on my 03 Grizzly and just traded an 05 BF 750, I had about 800 miles of abuse on the tires and rims and they are still in great condition. I went down to the local aftermarket to ask about cross referancing the 2 machines for matching bolt patterns, and the dude said I needed new wheels. I took off 1 wheel for the hell of it, to see for my self, and guess what? yup! they match perfect. What a salesman, thats the last time I'll ask there advise. The old tire look and run great, and no visible wear on the rims. It seems like these tires would last forever.

Quick Reply: ITP C-Series and 589's on my BF750!!!!!