Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

dude we opend up the tail gate i sat down my cuz jumps up and lands on it pow both snap i hit my head on a steel poll.........%#$^ you chevy!!!!!!!! and the only good thing that happend was that was the day he did not bring his quad.....
oh yeah it was a 2002 chevy 1500 quad cab/shortbed...

Old 08-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

then we went out and sat on my dad FORD F-150 we both jumped up on it and no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: FisherDude
Hello,
Any of you hauling with chevys, the tailgate cables rust inside the plastic coating. I was hauling my 8'camper in the 6' box and hit a bump, both cables snapped. There was nothing but rust in side. Anyway, the point of my note is I've been loading my 600lb P650 back there and would hate to have had them go at the top of the ramp [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Check your cables guys. Bob
when I bought my used 1996,,,,the cables were shot,,,,,so I just got 2 new ones

Old 08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer

Apparently the recall is for '99 and up. However, I have replaced the cables on my '98, twice in 3 years, both times unloading my 650. Just another great idea from General Motors!!!!

Old 08-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey fourwheelerfred.....yeah, that's a damn valid reason to hate chevy!....give me a friggin break. What are we starting here, a Ford vs. Chevy pissin' match? All makes have their pros & cons. I don't think tailgate straps breaking is reason to call something inferior. Whatever. This is a neverending debate. I personally like both.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thankfully, I heard about the breakage before mine broke, and quit using the tailgate for loading. It won't stop me from buying the product again, thats for sure. Especially since I work for GM! I work at an Engine Plant, so don't blame me!!! But it's not like GM made those cables, they came from a supplier, which has been canned, and replaced with a new supplier. To keep producing the truck, and feed the recall, the supplier is working 27/7 to supply cables. I haven't gotten mine yet either, I just quit using the gate for anything heavier than me. I wouldn't suggest hauling air conditioners on them, thats for sure.

It takes me about an extra minute to remove the tailgate, and then re-install it after I install my quad platform into my truck. That minute isn't worth getting hurt, or forking out any cash to fix something for.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

I was told they would be mass produced and available in September to October. My buddy just had his replaced with the new stainless cables. They are made in...............CHINA.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.... Yeah- I got the recall notice, haven't broken my tailgate cables, not yet anyways- and have yet to hear from the dealer. Maybe I just outta brake mine if they're that far gone. Any of you fellas dent or scuff the tailgate when the cables gave way?

Old 08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

thats not the only reson i hate chevy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

they just plain old suck...

Old 08-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My dad has an 04' and got his recall notice. I personally like the old folding flat bars, those things would never break.

It's not just Chevy that has problems with cables. A few months ago I was pulling my 5th wheel with my 99' F350 and I hit a small bump. The cable holding the spare tire snapped and my spare flipped under my 5th wheel.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Luckily it didn't damage my 5th wheel axles. I don't know if anyone else has had that happen but it's not something I want to happen again.

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables