Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

Hello,
Any of you hauling with chevys, the tailgate cables rust inside the plastic coating. I was hauling my 8'camper in the 6' box and hit a bump, both cables snapped. There was nothing but rust in side. Anyway, the point of my note is I've been loading my 600lb P650 back there and would hate to have had them go at the top of the ramp [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Check your cables guys. Bob

Old 08-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

They issues a recall on the cables I am on my 2nd set and havent got my notice yet to come in and get my new ones.
Mine broke 1 at a time.... once when I was loading my scammy in the back of my truck bed.... Now I have a slightly tweaked tailgate..... isnt that nice.

I have talked to gm and the dealer is suppose to check it out when I take mine in to get the straps replaced if they can tell that it wasnt caused by me getting into an accident or backing into something they are going to replace my tailgate.... I just wish they would hurry up and call me into get the new ones before I need a 3rd set of them.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

The new stainless steel cables will be at dealers toward the end of September into October. For the time being, the replacements will be the ones that rust out and snap.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

Just yesterday, the neighbor's wife, along with mine and our kids were sitting on the tailgate and they both snapped at once. Luckily no one got hurt.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

Ouch that is serious not good, need new cables

Old 08-20-2004, 12:38 AM
RIP Dear Friend

What model years are we referring too?

Old 08-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

Mine is a 99' Z71. I got new ones at Car Quest 2 for $14.00.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:14 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Is this an official recall or silent by GM?

Old 08-20-2004, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

Its an official recall for mdl years 1999 (new body style only) to 2004. The recal came out last fall and I have yet to get the dealer to give me any, I am told unless they are actualy broke they can not replace them, reason being they built somthing like 5 million chevy and gm trucks durring that time and there are not near enough to go around yet and its been almost a year since the recall started. befor the recall I replaced several our expense. I am a fleet manager for over 50 some odd cars and truck and have about 16 of these trucks in service and according to the recall I am not supossed to use the da#$#$ tailgates. I would have to ground a quarder of the fleet to abide by the GM recomendations. I think some folks have probably gotten hurt and there has been some signifcant property damage issues not only limmited to the tailgates. If just one snaps usualy the other is not long for the world, if both snap its going to at the very least put a crease in the tailgate. We have been lucky that when ours have brike the truck were not moving and only one truck did they snap at the same time.

I cringe when I have to much stuff and have to transport products on these tailgates, if they break going down the freeway whoevers lucky enough to be behind me is going to end up with 400# airconditioners right in there windshields.

Its just a plain bad deal !!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, one of my (2000 Chevy 1/2 ton silverado short bed) tailgate cables snapped about 2 years ago and I replaced BOTH cables with some aftermarket brand at the local auto parts store for about $10 each. Last year, I got the recall notice and I'm now waiting to receive another letter to let me know that my dealer has them in stock and is ready to replace them. I also hate to think what would happen if the original cables would have snapped while I was loading my quad into the bed while using my ramps on the end of the tailgate! I sure hope Chevy gets those updated cables in soon so I no longer have to worry about it (I'm assuming the replacements will be stronger than the replacements I now have from my local auto parts store which have stretched over time, but not broken yet).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables