Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

silverado tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado tailgate cables

If the dealer is telling you they won't replace them unless they're broken, they're full of the usual brown stuff. I got a recall notice for my 2000 about a year ago. I think they were the least of my problems with that truck, it's gone to haunt someone else now, and I'm glad to be rid of it. I always drove Chevy trucks until that one, if you ask me the 98 model year was the last of the decent ones.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:51 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: Chilly
if you ask me the 98 model year was the last of the decent ones.
They still made the old style HD until 2000.

Old 08-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Range Rover

Spare tire cables breaking is common for GM full size trucks. My brother was going 80 mph down the expressway when his snapped on his '98. Someone would've been bummin' had there been anyone behind him. But hey, all vehicles have there issues.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

FORD-FORD-FORD\FORD-FORD-FORD-/FORD-FORD-FORD

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Awww- c'mon Chilly, don't be so sour. Each manuracturer has it's own troubles, and there are lemons out there. I've had GM vehicles all my days and have been happy. My biggest beef was with the steering box on my current 2001 Pick Up. the dealer did a band aid fix to it under warranty then, just out of warranty the box totally wnt and they wanted me to cough up $900 for a new box. But I kept my warranty fix tickets and I calmly spoke with the Service adviser who talked to the Big Wigs upstairs and they did the job for $90- the cost if I had purchased that extened warranty- which I didn't! Not trying to start a pissing match here- just don't diss this or that becuase of a lemon or two out there, because everybody has a few-- just like some families with outta control kids.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

FORD....."DROF"......D river R eturns O n F oot! F ound O n R oad D ead??? Ah well, at least that's been my experience with them! To each their own I guess. GMC for me!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

I agree. As an auto mechanic, I dread seeing them pull in our GM dealership for repairs. Just about every one of them are nothing but a pain in the as$. Rusted out oil pans, starter bolts broke off in bell housing, ripping out the glued down carpet to get the cab bolts out....I could go on but I don't want to fire up all the "FORD GUYS" . I just hate 'em.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Tundras also have a problem similar. No snapped cables, but the bolts holding cable to tailgate bend when loading atv's. Course me and the atv are way over the recommended maximum gate load of 400 or so pounds. I don't stand on the corner of the tailgate with the atv rear tires also on the gate anymore. Check your bolts.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.. Wow heathen, sounds like these folks are misusing their vehichles. Are these leased units that are in for all that service?

Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info FisherDude, heading up to Aledo, Tx this weekend and will be taking my four wheeler, so with you bringing the cable to my attention I went out and visually inspected my cable and they looked good 2002 Silverado with 26K on it so I figured it was okay. Well something told me before I drive my 4-wheeler up I should put it under a load first, so I lowered the tailgate 1/2 way and let it drop and sure-nuff the right cable started fraying, later that night I went to show my wife and I didn't notice at the time but the left cable was completely snapped, so just wanted to say Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: silverado tailgate cables