Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

4deg Key + Dyna cdi test

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4deg Key + Dyna cdi test

I did some runs again today on my 330' strip.
About 1-2 mph decrease. But the knocking quit and I can not find any gas in my small town above 91.
The airport has 100-125 that jet banana boats fill up with. That I guess is another option.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

On my snowmobile with nitrous ,I used amsoil octane booster, It is one of them that actually work. Dealers might have it on hand. Most of the boosters misslead you with the octane increase. I was hoping the dyna would work, What elevation are you? I think there is some people running that high of timing advance.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Traveler, I'll look for amsoil octane booster, or just order it.
I put that prestone (0 to 60) 10 point increase in and then found out thanks to Brad it raises it 1 max.
I'm at 4,500 feet elevation.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I am at 1800' so I would have to use race gas to run the cdi, thanks for the info.

Old 08-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

KOD,

Not sure which you key you will install, a 6* key will only give you 4*, a 4* key will only give you 2*. 2* key with a 33* Dyna cdi will work well if you retard the cams or install V-Force cams. I run 36* but with modified degreed cams, 32 - 33* works well with pump gas. Just a little observation on my part at least, higher timing advance will provide greater temperatures internaly but cooler temperatures in the exhaust. I recorded 200* difference on exhaust temps but higher numbers internaly. Performance wise it was greater as the higher octane did help in combustion with a better burning of gases. The degree keys were designed initialy with 2 strokes in-mind hence the higer initial timing numbers. Looking forward to your results.

Old 08-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Gary, did you get your PM, from me? Great information, by the way!

Old 08-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

alltoys, I already have the 4 degree key installed. Its been there for over 2 months. What are you talking about when you say a 6 degree key only give 4 degrees and a 4 only gives 2 degrees? If this was true then if a 4 degree key only gives 2 degrees then why dont the 6 degree give 3 degrees instead of 4? LOL, just curious about that. Kinda dont make sense but whatever you say.

Anyway, I could have used that cdi, it may have helped. A stock P700 beat me by half atv length at 350' drag strip Sunday. We had even starts everytime and I could get the jump on him by a lot. The EPI Red spring may have contributed some to that, but I could stay ahead of him for the first 200-250' and then I could see him slowly gaining until he passed me at the road which is 350'. At around 45mph I go flat. Im much quicker than before but still cant do anything after 45mph. Even with the air intake mod and the 148/150 jetting, which is burning excellent with better throttle response than ever, I still cant hit 50mph in 350'. I have decided my engine will not run any better than it does now. It is simply producing all the power it will and thats that.

Only thing that would have helped me would have been if I still had stock tires/wheels on instead of the ATR/C-series combo. But, Im not gonna sacrifice everything ride related just to run stockers and drag race with.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Timing is always measured at the crank (flywheel), before or after Piston top dead center. It always takes 180* for the piston to do a stroke. If a key offsets the flywheel 4*, then it advances the timing 4*. It is exactly the same way on a two stroke. I don't know what the heck he is talking about.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Maybe the keys advertise 4* but don't actually move the flywheel that much (per maryland in next post). I guess that is a rational expl.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that D&D racing makes most of the keys if not ALL of them that everybody sells? And I think they were mostly used on snowmobiles first? I ordered the 4* but Im told its really like a 2.9? and the 6* is like a 4 or 5 point something? Cant remember? I think this is what alltoys is talking about? Once you take the lid off, You'll find a Lot of Company's out there, just put there name on a lot of other peoples products and don't always know exactly what there selling?-lol
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ~coop

PS: Ive got both the vcams and key ordered and really was hoping there was a few more out there running this set up along with the Dyna CDI so I could have some idea what I was getting into and what Im going to get out of it?

www.MarylandATV.com
Prairie 700
Team Green Plastic
Progressive Springs
OMF Beadlocks
Maxxis Big Horns
Dyna CDI
EPI Pink Spring/RED
Twin Air Filter
HMF Penland Exhaust
exhaust wrap
>
Vcams
4* key
on the way!
Oh and a Bunch of other Toyz

Old 08-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

If that is the case then it seems like people would call it what it really is. I mean, its just as easy to say its a 3 degree key as it is to say 4 degree key. Im refering to the people who sell the keys.

Quick Reply: 4deg Key + Dyna cdi test