Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

4deg Key + Dyna cdi test

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4deg Key + Dyna cdi test

I cant find the thread were this was discussed so Im making another one.

I was going to do this test this weekend but I didnt get the cdi shipped to me. I know some of you were really looking forward to hearing about it and I was pretty excited about trying it out myself.

Also, the "Unit Manager" took vacation Thursday "yesterday" and I didnt get to ask him about the Raytek temp gun so that little experiement wont happen either. Sorry to disappoint some of you but Im a little dissapointed myself.

Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I wish I could get that to you. BAD NYROC! I had an awful week. Too many calls at work. Too many calls at home. I forgot everything.

You could stop by my work. It is a lot closer to you. Just drive down 77 to exit 3, turn right, go 2 or 3 lights to microsoft way. I am in bldg 8055. I could leave it on top of one of my car's tires and only you would find it.

Do you feel better now?

Old 08-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

what does the 4 key and dyna cdi put you for degree numbers?

Old 08-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

My dyna only does 31*. So add 4 to that.
But, my dyna revs to 10,000.

KOD, can I drive partway to meet you with it?

Old 08-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I went back to the DG3 and key.
The dyna is 33 degrees and 4 degree flywheel key. I kept getting a knock that I first blamed on gas.
It was some kind of early ignition I believe. The performance gain just was not enough to destroy
my engine. I ran 91 octane and put booster in on top and knock keeps coming back. I only have 700 miles on prairie so don't want to trash it for 1 or 2 mph.
I could have other problems I'm not aware of such as maybe I'm to lean. This is just what I found.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: minimus
I went back to the DG3 and key.
The dyna is 33 degrees and 4 degree flywheel key. I kept getting a knock that I first blamed on gas.
It was some kind of early ignition I believe. The performance gain just was not enough to destroy
my engine. I ran 91 octane and put booster in on top and knock keeps coming back.
Adding octane booster isn't the best way to get higher octane. The way they rate the increase in octane is somewhat deceptive, read about it on the Prestone website here(scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://www.prestone.com/tips/page7.htm

Most other octane boosters that I have looked at use the same rating system, and increase actual octane by 1 or less octane numbers. If you really want to increase octane, spend the $30 or so for a 5 gallon drum of high octane race gas from your local bike shop. Or you can get 100+ octane at some gas stations. I know 76 sells it at some stations, thats where I get it.

I'm not saying this will fix your knock problem, you may very well have too much advance. We settled on the timing in the Dyna box after hearing reports of knock with higher timing.

Brad

Old 08-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Nyroc, that wouldnt have been possible. I had to much things here to do before leaving. I had to take off trash ect. Im getting ready to load up now, Im just waiting on Tiffany to get home from school. Thanks for the offer though.

I can get 100 octane at the pump in Hickory, NC. That was on the agendy for this morning but I guess I wont be needing it.

minimus, you should try like brads said, about the 5 gal drum or see if you can buy it at some pumps.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I know how you feel KOD, they told me i would have mine by the end of the week as well. I even paid to upgrade shipping just so it would get here before the weekend.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] UPS just got here, now have the snorkle and twin air, but dont want to put it on until the CDI gets here. In case I have to rejet again. Called dyna a few minutes ago and they said they are shipping today (friday)

Old 08-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Brad I'll look for some higher octane gas.
I'm just going to save my dyna for my next Prairie 750 next year.
No reason to pull degree key when I already have the DG3.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Minimus, Did you notice that the accelleration is less now with 5* less timing?

Quick Reply: 4deg Key + Dyna cdi test