Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave kick starter HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave kick starter HELP!!!!

Hey you all

My problem is that I have a Mojave and put a 330 kit in the motor. Cams etc. When I got the cams the compreshion release was not on the new cam. They said I did not need it. The compression is about 11:1. This thing is almost impossable to crank over with the kick starter. I replaced the kick starter idler gears, alittle better but still not good. Motor runs great when running. I have about 10 hours on motor at this time. Now I have broken some teeth off the idler gear. I see that's there is alot of Mojave on this site, please let me know what i'm doing wrong. thanks BANZAI

Old 09-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

I've done cams, etc. with a stock 1/8 overbore (no 330 kit). My compression release was removed; no additional difficulty starting. I don't remember the stock compression #. I guess if you went from 10:1 to 13:1, it would be alot harder, but you're 11:1. Something else must be going on.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Range Rover

hmmm...sounds like you got a leg breaker now..i wish i had some advice but all mine are electric start...just a tap of a button..i did see a company the sells and electric start for a mojave tho.....hint hint..lol

Old 09-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

I went through the same thing with the 411 kit, you need to quit trying to start it like a stock bike. Slowly push down on the kicker till you hit compression stroke, ease the kicker through till it just barely starts to get easy, then bring kicker all the way back up and kick the snot out of it. repeat as needed. By the way, if you get in a hurry it will pop back and fold your toes back against your shin, feels great.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey

Thanks for all your help and comments. Have ordered all new gears from Kawasaki and have talked to Greg at CWR and we are putting the compreshion release back on the cam. I only use the Mojave for trail riding. I will let you all know how it goes. I talked to Goki (makes starter kit) and Greg and thry both said that the starter will only work on a stock motor.

Thanks again BANZAI

91 Mojave
330 CWR kit
280 CWR cams
OS valves
port and polish (Banzai Enterprises)
completely rebuilt ATV, down to frame
3inch swing arm, Tube type (Banzai Enterprises)
Orange Race plastic, Black frame
Work shocks F & R
36mm carb on the way
K&N aif filter w/ mod stock air box
Super trap complete system
stock carb has Dyno Jet kit
Mobil 1 in Motor (after brake in)
Evans fluid in cooling system
DG nerf bars and bumpers
Hole shots F&R
ITP C ser wheels
250 Kawasaki cycle CDI

Old 09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

answered your Pm about the question but it sounds like you got it handled. My 330 has much more than 11:1 and I can start it with no comp release easily now that it is broken in. I use the same procedure that toyaddict described.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cam with the compreshion release reinstall on it's way back. Should have tomorrow, Friday and new gear should be here. Thanks again everybody & addict for your help. Will let you know how I made out.

BANZAI

Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, got all my parts and cam back today. Will be putting back together tonight. Will let you all know how I mad out with it.

BANZAI

Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey

Got MOJAVE together with compreshion release back on. Starts like a stock Mojave BUT KICKS AS$!!!!!!!!!!!! Starts right up and runs great. Pulls the wheels when shifting into 2nd and thats not easy with me on it 260lb. Just spent some time jetting new carb 36mm Mit. carb. Thanks again for everybodys feed back. Will post pictures soon.

Thanks BANZAI

Old 09-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Banzaient,

You mentioned in your PM that the Goki wouldn't start it...I remembered hearing that Lurch put a Goki on his 330 FST motor. It started fine, he said it just ran the battery down quicker due to the KLR CDI.

Quick Reply: Mojave kick starter HELP!!!!