Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt life expectancy

When are you going to Hatfield/mcCoy?? I will be there in Oct also.If you have any questions fire away.I have been there several times and have ridden all the trails except the waterways trail.

We are going to Hatfield/McCoy October 13 - 21 (Five days on the trails + drive days on Wednesdays)
This is our second trip to H/M. Awesome. So awesome we drive 19 hours to get there.
(This is subject to the THIRD HURRICANE THIS MONTH not wiping us out )

When are you going? - where are you staying?
- last year we stayed at Browning Fork Trailhouse - this year it was unavailable so we are staying at The Doo Drop Inn - right next door - ride right into the main trail

Maybe we can hook up and hit the trails-
also planning a side trip to Windrock or the like on the return trip (possibly)

Just FYI
I installed the Black Spring almost immediately - (the dealer did it) and have 26" Dirt Devils

Thanks for the good information -

Gary C

Old 09-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

i have 03 650 p and i am on my 4 belt with 1400 miles on it . any idears why the belt are not lasting

Old 09-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Crazy22, I would bet it's cause your running them outta spec. Tho, you may have worn sheave bushings, making the sheave move around a little, that would eat belts up. Take the cover off, and measure your deflection. If it's loose, you can kill belts in a single ride. I have 1000 miles plus on my original belt, and its still looking damn good. If it measures within spec, then check your bushings, makeing sure there's no play.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Range Rover

this time i went to the dealer had them check it out and found nother out of spec

Old 09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

I know the 650 will not get high kms out of a belt however the KFV700 has the same clutch as the 700P and I have 5000km on my belt and I still have atleast one thick shim left. I'm guessing at the 8 thou mark my belt will be replaced. I also have modded my springs. My 650 has about 5000km on that belt now, but it is not a 650 clutch. With the 650 clutch i was doing good to get 3000km out of a belt. The way you drive it will effect the life expectancy out of the belt, Ie low range etc... Also Crazy22 check to make sure your (I think rear) spindle has that grease that was missing on some from factory. I know that was a pain for me because mine second clutch didn't have it and it didn't last long.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Just changed mine at 2200 miles. I sled pull, mud bog and sometimes run very agressive cluching setups. I changed it because I was out of adjustment (no washers) It was working fine when I removed it .

Old 09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey mudder we will be there Oct 1st and 2nd...maybe another time.It's your call but I was disappointed in Pinnicle Creek.As far as I am concerned there are no black trails there which is ok if thats your thing.The name is misleading also........there technically are NO water crossings.You can in a couple of spots but it is not legal (according to the Ranger LOL)
02 650 camo

Old 09-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Kodiac-
We rode the heck out of the place last year (mid October) but mainly stayed with Browing Fork Trail and Buff. Mtn Trail (North and South) I have heard the same (lame report) about Pinn. Creek and Waterways trails - good, but not great - not a thrill ride -
This is why we are thinking of a second ride destination on the way back from H/M - possibly Windrock
The way I figure it, we don't need to ride easy trails - our target is mountain riding/techinal riding -
why drive 19 hours each way to ride fire roads?

BTW - The trails I mentioned were awesome-words can't describe those trails-all that can be said is awesome-like no other ride.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard Windrock is real good.The only hills that are good at H/M are on Rockhouse and Buff mountain.93 and 94 are good at Rockhouse and 98 is REAL good at Buff mountain.Let me know what your opinion is of WIndrock when you get back.
02 650 camo

Old 09-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

How big a job is it to take spacers out and do you need special tools for that, I have little confidence in my dealers around here and would like to start doing these minor ajustments myself. What tools should I buy and where, and what brand of tools do I need.

My p650 just started chirping at take-off and it sounds like from what is being said here al I need to do is pull out a schimm to tighten it up, rather than change the belt. I have 1300 miles on it and if its a realy big deal to tighten it then I was thinking maybe I should just go ahead and change the belt.

Quick Reply: belt life expectancy