Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt life expectancy

Kodiac -
I agree those other trail heads are good,not great. My buddy wants to ride them all, but I am still trying to convince him to forget about the easy ones, concentrate on the buff. mtn and rockhouse. As said before, we went last year and had an awesome time. I am SURE I will convince him to go to Windrock and I will report back. I, too have heard that windrock is awesome .... can't wait.

CC1999 -
I have the same problem, except no belt chirping upon takeoff - I am doing it as a prevenitive measure prior to going to Hatfield/McCoy. I could pull the cover, check the deflection myself but that's about it.
If adjustment is required, I am not qualified to service it, and if I did, I am not confident with my work.
The mountains of West Virginia is not a place to discover my mistakes, so I took it to the dealer.
The dealer said that if I am doing a belt adjustment, removing shims, I might as well replace the belt - same labor cost and the $70 belt is now fresh and new....OK - so I will do it. If the old belt has 1000 miles on it, and 100 hours on it, I'll keep it as a spare and bite the $70 bullet and put on a new belt.
As far as tools needed, see Kissofdeath's website for lots of details. I read about the procedure several times, then decided to take it to a shop instead, picturing myself on my driveway, my quad in pieces and several hours into a belt adjustment that isn't going like it should. Labor on this belt replacement is 1.5 hours or so from the dealer, and BTW - the belt they sold me didn't fit correctly (too wide) so they needed to do it all over again with a different belt.