Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Be careful which syn oil you use in your LS front diff...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't use synth oil in your LS front diff!!!!

WOW!! I just went on Valvolines web sight and looked at the specs on thier full synthetic oil. (this is automotive oil, Syn Power, all grades) In the FAQ section it very clearly says that synthetic is NOT APPROVED for wet clutch type systems!!!
This would obviously include the LS front diffs on most of our quads. No wonder it makes it so "easy to steer". I'm getting that stuff out of my front diff right away!!!!
Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx for the post--I was going to put mobil 1 in this weekend----think i'll stick to non synth in the front

Old 09-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OleManMoses
Thanx for the post--I was going to put mobil 1 in this weekend----think i'll stick to non synth in the front
This is exactly the type of reaction I'd like to see avoided. Mikeames, you appear to be making statements without much research, and have scared someone out of using a product that may have worked very well for their application.

The key difference you appear to have missed is that some synthetics contain friction modifiers, and some do not. Some are safe to use in LSD's and some are not.. Clearly that particular Valvoline oil is not wet clutch compatible, NOT ALL synthetics.

I know that my amsoil 0W-40 4stroke/atv oil is specifically formulated to work with wet clutch systems etc. This is the reason that there are specific blends of oils - an automotive 0w40 might have friction modifiers in it, while the atv version will not - slight additive package changes to the same base oil. I have used the Amsoil ATV/4stroke 0W40 for 1800 abusive and trouble free miles in my p650's front diff and engine. The mobil 1 mx4t 10w40 is also a good choice.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

Yup, this appears to be true. Nryroc says the same thing. Some synthetics work well and some don't depending on their intended uses.
I guess what can be said is make sure the oil you use is designed to be used for wet clutches if you plan on using it in your front diff on a BF750.
Maybe if someone has the time they could come up with a reliable list of acceptable (and unacceptable) oils an post it on the forum...

Old 09-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Be careful which syn oil you use in your LS front diff...

If you do a search in this forum, you'll see popular synthetics, at least with prairie owners are Amsoil 0W40 atv, mobil 1 mx4t, and a few others. I believe redline may be wet clutch compatible as well, but I'm not positive. My money goes toward an oil that's a true synthetic, ester based group 4 basestock..none of the castrol, valvoline, or penzoil group 3 hydrocracked petroleum basestock 'synthetics' for me thanks! Maxima also makes fantastic oils.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Edited the title, hope this helps....

Old 09-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mikeames
Edited the title, hope this helps....
Nice work, a useful thread for newbies now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

Amsoil 0w-40 4 stroke is the way to go if you want the best possible protection for your investment.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

How about a couple of free stickers? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

No problem,you got it! You pay postage.

Amsoil Website

Quick Reply: Be careful which syn oil you use in your LS front diff...