Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?

Dayco has been making snowmobile belts for years?????????....not this Dayco.Dayco sold all of the technology and a lot of the engineers(employees who developed them to Calrisle power transmission about a year ago.If you want what used to be an Ultimax@ or Ultimax 3 snowmobile belt nowadays,you buy a Carlisle Ultimax from what I've heard. Carlisle Power Transmission is the same people from the old dayco,and CPT is the one who is now providing the belts to Polaris and some Arctic cat snowmobiles.

Dayco kept the rights to make some belts for CVT's and still market them as Dayco belts(the known name)...but appearently,they only were left with the technology of the old TOP MAX,etc line of belts(and technology),which was the CHEAP snowmobile line. Dayco is a huge Automotive supplier,and ,hey,it could be that this is a great belt,...but it is not the OEM supplier to the snowmobile world that many may think.Dayco is Dayco,a well respected company,but they did sell out cvt tech to Carlisle,and kept the right to sell cvt belts. Being in the clutch business,this was mass confusion for snowmobilers last winter.

This was told to me directly from a CPT(formerly Dayco )engineer.I Have not tested a Dayco ATV belt.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

The belt that comes on a Kawi is from Mitsubishi.Arctic Cat and Polaris had always used Dayco(now Carlisle,they tell me)...last year Arctic started to use SOME Mitsubishi belts on some of their High HP models. They are the highest cost of any cvt belt.That price reflects in the belt retail prices of the 3-4 grades available for an Arctic Cat sled.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Mudcon, 10 hours.

Deerchopper, Very interesting. I have an 03 manual and yet I failed to look at the specs or measure the OE against the Dayco.
My OE has 44 hours on it and looks real good and measures 28mm at the widest point in the center. As you know the top cogs taper inward.
Dayco sent me 2 belts so I measured the new one and it is 28mm also.
Both of these belts are according to the book are at service level. Hmmm?
So, I am going to the Kawi dealer today and see if they will let me measure some 03 650 and 04 700 belts and will report. I am not ready to believe what I read in the book as of yet until I see the new OE belts.

Helix, Dayco has been making snowmobile belts for years?????????.... I hear you. I have not heard of the company name change. I am 50 years old you see and well, it's been a while. I have never been on a snow mobile either. I have several friends from up state NY that have raced them and swear by Dayco. They are old too. Thanks for updating me.
What do you think of the P650 OE belt as far a quality? I stated earlier, ( IMO Kawasaki provided the least expensive for the quality they could get away with to also help keep the sticker price and weight down.). Do you agree with this?

Old 09-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Range Rover

I purchased a new Kawasaki P650 belt and measured ut at 28mm width. Took it back and got a refund. Purchased the Dayco belt and it has been fine ever since.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

I applaud Dayco for seing the light and offering an aftermarket option for the kawi atv's.I have not tried one yet.They may be excellent.The OEM 700 belt has worked the best of all the oem belts for us...360,650,700. The 02 650 belts were of lesser quality in my opinion. The 700 belt(top cog mitsubishi)is probably their most expensive option for an oem choice,beleive it or not.I'm not so sure that snowmobile type compounds will work well on atv's. Snowmobile clutches never get even close to as hot as atv systems,as the atv ones are enclosed. The tremendous heat generated requires hard compounds and kevlar in my opinion,for extended durability.Also one should remember that different belt compounds can be used to change operating clutch phase rpm's of the machine,and this could have a positive or negative effect on performance depending on the situation.On many snowmobiles,you slightly change clutch calibration when using different compounds.

One thing is for sure,for around 30 dollars,it is at least another option.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

I am so very close to purchasing one of the dayco belts. I have found the 2017 and 2018 for $50 CDN each or if I go to the dealer it's $201.91 for the 700 belt and 141.23 for the 650 belt. Would anyone recommend the 2017 over the 2018? I have over 4000 miles on my stock belt and I just checked it out yesterday and it still looks good but my deflection may be off as it squeals a bit on take off or when I am loading it onto my trailer and I am running with no shims behind the driven pulley. Had to do this in order to bring deflection back into specs about 2000 miles ago so I'm sure that they are out once again.

What is the worst thing that can happen using the dayco belt aside from ruining the belt. Could it cause a problem to the sheaves of the drive pulley? or anything clutch related?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know what to tell you on any of your questions. I am still testing\evaluating.
4000 miles on an 02! I would be interested in what repairs or break downs you have had in that time.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

Spliffstar...

Where in canada did you find a 2017 for fifty bucks?? I am having a heck of time finding one here in Saskatchewan and would like to try one..

Thanks

Old 09-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

therock.

on the ones i had the belting or kevlar (as helix said) was showing. little strands just comming out of the middle. when i removed it they were still showing, with 50 miles.

DONT GET ME WRONG. THEY ARE A GOOD ALTURNATIVE/ CHEAP. BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN THE PERFORMANCE SIDE OF THESE BELTS! IF YOU DO MODS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TOP SPEED AND HOW TO GET THERE QUICKER. YOU HAVE SEEN 2 POSTS ON THIS THREAD THAT BOTH PARTIES LOST MPH'S.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

Rock, repairs done are minimal more like maintenance. Valve adjustments, belt deflection, front pads, front differential oil seal, will be doing rear differential oil seals and swingarm bearings in the winter. She's a good machine. When you set your deflection with the dayco belt were you using any shims?

Sask, I called a local automotive place down the street that has a dayco sign out front.

Deerchoopers post is the one that concerns me the most. The only reason I got the longevity out of my belt was because I could adjust the deflection. If the dayco starts out of deflection with no shims in and cannot be tightened after it breaks in then I doubt I will get even close to 1500 miles out of it.

l can't say I have decided what I'm going to do but I'm going on another big ride in October and really feel I need a new belt with the one I've got now in the box as a backup. At 1/4 the price the dayco sure does look good.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Dayco belt on Prairie?