Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

smokin lakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smokin lakota

When i start my lakota, it wont idle smoothly and cuts out(sometimes stalls) untill i hold the thorottle on for a few seconds. Then when i start riding, it will blow out a bluish smoke for about a minute or so, then it stops smoking. And i think the oil level has dropped a little the last few times ive rode. I also think the valves are clicking but not bad(not sure if its the valves, sounds like it is on the lower part of the engine?)
whats the problem?
thanks

Old 09-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default smokin lakota

Hey tmaxx, it sounds like it could be a few problems. First try changing the spark plug. Another thing is when was the last time you changed your oil and oil filter. It also could be that your valves need to be adjusted. Also did you try adjusting your idle swich. Another try cleaning your air filter not enought air might not be getting through. If your quad is really smoking a lot (blue) than you might need new rings but i'm not sure about that.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Range Rover
Default smokin lakota

I put a new sparkplug in about 3 months ago. Cleaned the airfilter about 1 month ago(only with soap and water) And i just changed the oil and filter a few days ago...I change it about once each month.
I havent adjusted my idle switch or valves. Would the idle speed or valves cause it to smoke?

Old 09-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Range Rover
Default smokin lakota

now that i think about it, my garage isnt very level. would the quad smoke if it has a little to much oil?

Old 09-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default smokin lakota

Tmaxx, you should have the oil level set at the top mark in the window on the side of the motor. If you have to much oil in there, all the extra oil has no where to go which may cause it to smoke. Also how much do you ride. The rule of thumb is change you spark plug every 10 hours, same with changing your oil and oil filter, and air filter. Just take a look at your air filter just to make sure it's clean. Because i ride more than 10 hours a month easy, and also over kill on maintance. You don't want the idle to hig. If the valves are not adjust right it could be a big problem. I would bring your quad to the shop and have them look at it because adjusting the valve is a hard thing to do when you don't have the right tools. Also if your rings are shot you might have to do them over, the rings being shot will denfintly cause it to smoke. Another thing i just thought of, is make sure the gap on the spark plug has space, it's no good if it's bent in. Bottom line is you need a little space there.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default smokin lakota

blue smoke means tha your engine is not running clean, and is burning a good amount of oil. try not revving your engine when you first start it just give it enough gas to idle till it idles on its own, if you rev before you fully coat the piston with oil you can put a lot of stress and wear on your piston. also, make sure u didnt accidentaly put 2stroke gas in