Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dyna with key cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004 | 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dyna with key cutting out

I have the original proto type cdi that Im going to try out this weekend coming up. I also have the 4 degree key in. So far just riding around the yard its doing great. I do have to pull start it everytime to by pass the starter and kickback that it does have. The pull start works great and will start everytime on the first pull.

tuffenuf, I notice you are running a 150/152 jet combo. Thats pretty rich, Im running a 148/150. I also noticed that you did an airbox mod and was wondering what you did to yours.

tarvelor, funny you mention the backfiring after trying the cdi. Mine never had backfired until I tried the Dyna cdi bought once. It must be coincidence because it doesnt make sense that the cdi would start causing the backfiring. Mine kept the backfire even though I went back to the stock cdi. I highly doubt you are even hitting the stock rev limiter even though you have the dyna cdi in. Also, you can run the cdi with the DG3 hooked up. The cdi just over looks it.

Old 09-18-2004 | 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

K.O.D.
I'm running the original 02 Airbox with a K & N Filter. Airbox housing has 3 X 4" rectangular hole in middle of airbox plastic above filter & I'm also running the DG Snorkel. In process of trying to fab duct to fit over hole in airbox to injest more outside cooler air. Mine also backfire out of the tailpipe after 1/4 mile full throttle pass and let off the throttle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2004 | 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I just now seen you are running the dynojet kit. Are the main jets dyno jets also?

I changed mine over to the 03 airbox and cut a hole in the red cover and drilled some 1/2" holes in the black airbox lid. It runs better now than it ever has but the engine is doing all it can. Im gonna do some engine work by next spring. Im also thinking about doing the primary clutch mod Monday.

Old 09-19-2004 | 01:55 AM
Range Rover

My p700 also cuts out on top end with the Dyna, I am running the High Lifter power pack witch doesn't effect the Dyna only the factory cdi. My first Dayna had the kick back problem and I waited to send it back because I liked the extra top end speed and hated to give it up. I did a top end speed test before I sent mine back, Dyna v/s stock cdi with HL module. These numbers are from my speedo, 64 stock and 67 with the Dyna. I contacted Dyna and asked about sending my cdi back and was told I would have a new one in a week well, 4 weeks later I got it. I ran my test again and it cut out around 66 mph. I did not change anything on my p700, same jets, clean air filter, I thought it might be air temp and have run the test many times and it still cuts out. I made the mistake of dragging up an old post about the cdi and caught HE!! for saying anything bad about the Dayna. It still has problems and I am not happy with it. The kick back cdi ran better than my new one, the High Lifter power pack gives me the low end power same as the Dyna but I have lost the top end the Dyna used to give me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2004 | 06:56 AM
|
Pro Rider

I rented a 700 prairi and tried dyna against mine with my mods. At first the dyna didn't seem to work took out and back in again, it pulled good but mine would spin more and would pass it about 45 mph and pull ahead . only tried to 58 with prairi will try more this morning. Dyna was working at slower speeds. will try in mine again but do not have good hopes for it. Seems it is equal to module with key and top speed is equal. that cutting out scares me.
kod, yes it backfires after letting off from top speed, didn't used to. I was hopeing I wouldn't have to remove key.
tuffenuf, I have the red spring but may put the blue or plain white back in.
crypie, looks like we need to talk to scott about this problem of ours. Wonder how many others are having the problem? I hope they don't try to blame mine on the key.

Old 09-19-2004 | 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Hey travelor,

It is obviously not a unique problem with your machine, since we now have THREE DIFFERENT BIKES with the same problem. Yours and mine are from the same batch, and it looks like hitman received his CDI not even a month earlier. So it’s pretty obvious that IT'S A PROBLEM WITH THE DYNA CDI. Hitman even had a previous Dyna CDI and had the "opportunity..." to compare the two, and said that his new CDI had no more power than stock. His has the same performance and the same cutting out as yours, mine, and probably many others. I wonder how many others it will take for Dyna to realize that their product is defective… I can already see how the phone call is going to go... "Return the CDI for evaluation..." and wait 2 more months and you MIGHT get a good one. Good luck to both of you, and keep us posted.

Old 09-19-2004 | 12:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

I think scott and the folks at dyna are good people and will take care of us and will do there best to keep a good product. They probably don't know about the glitch in the top rpms yet until we tell them. At least they have stood behind there dyna and replaced everyones that I know off. Let's just hope for the best. I am going to try mine again today.

Old 09-19-2004 | 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

We can only hope. I have not had good luck with DynaTek so far and am not too happy with them.

Old 09-19-2004 | 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

K.O.D.
I'm running Keihin main Jets and my Dynojet needles are on the third notch. Gonna try backing my air screw in from 2 1/2 since I have the #42 pilot jets and adjusting the needle settings to see if it makes a difference.. ...just keep testing and tuning till I get it right.

Plugs say a little rich but backfire on abrupt decelleration.

Idle & Power great, just has that 3/4 throttle stutter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2004 | 07:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

tried the cdi again still would cut out on mine, on a stock 700 worked on bottom but didn't see much gain to 60 mph then pulled harder to 64 but didn't see any top end gain. That is stock cdi verses dyna. The worst thing is the stock 700 with over 3000 miles with dyna, didn't try without, ran even with mine to 55mph then pulled away and gets 4 mph faster than me. Mine has 250 miles. If it cut out on stock bike, it wasn't as bad as mine, if at all, just didn't see increase in mph over stock. It runs 68, Mine today only 64.

Quick Reply: Dyna with key cutting out