Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Prairie 700 idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Prairie 700 idle problems

Just picked up a Prairie 700 Team Green edition. To start the engine I have to fully apply the choke. After a few minutes I take the choke off and the engine stalls. Appears its idling too low. Seems I have to keep giving some gas to keep it running? I turn the idle adjustment all the way in and its still too low to run on its own, then once it warms up after riding a while it idles too high. After running it for a while it idles fine. Only have an hour on the engine. Is this a break-in thing or could it be something else? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, they are just cold blooded. Adjust your idle so its where you want it when the bike is warm. Then just choke it to start and let it warm up a bit.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:13 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Hiendtime, The way you described on what you need to do in order to keep your bike running when first starting it, it just doesn't sound right. I'm talking from mine and my friends expierences with there new machines. Yeah they may be cold blooded in the winter but it should start and run just fine anytime else. I have a 2004 700 prairie. From day one to start it I give it 1/2 to full choke while applying 1/4 throttle. It fires up immediately and I shut the choke off after approximately 30 seconds. At that time I can let off the gas and it stays running. This procedure worked for my 2002 650 and other prairies my friends have. You shouldn't have to mess with the idle screw every time you start it to keep it running. The air screws on my 700 were set at 1/2 turn out from closed when I bought it. I set them at 2 turns out and I installed a K&N air filter. This combo. worked great with my 700 in helping it idle better. Even w/ the stock filter I set them to 2 turns. If you don't feel comfortable making that adjustment, have your dealer do it. It sounds like he didn't prep. your machine right for you from the start. There could be a number of variables thats causing it not to run right. So let them figure it out and make it right. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

I ride with 3 people that have a p-700's and starting is no problem.
You should not have to choke at September temperatures above 50. A 2-stroke yes but not a 4 stroke engine.
A couple clicks on throttle and hit the starter.
Take it back to dealer and do carb adjustments.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Don't think the dealer prep'd it at all. The transmission shifter wouldn't go into low because the **** was screwed down too far on the selector rod. They didn't even check to see the bike could shift through its ranges? Anyway, is there a simple adjustment I can make or do I need to schlep it back? Would prefer not taking it back as its over an hour drive. Should have bought a bike local although no one had a team green in stock and no one really discounts bikes up in the mountains. Paid $200 less for the team green than what I would have paid for a regular 700 locally. I'll probably end up taking it somewhere local and paying for the service so the joke will be on me. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Team green, is awesome. Should have been set up after paying the extra.
Make the 1 hour drive and get it fixed with documentation.
I found my local dealer was as good as you can get.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

You may want to verify this with your local dealer but they should be able to straighten out your 700 for you under warranty. I too bought mine about an hour away but my local dealer told me he would service it and honor any warranties that the original seller would. Remember that warranty work is only as good as the dealer you take it to is. If your local dealer likes you and you do future business with him, he will more likely work harder for you in getting things covered that other dealers would.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

When you buy from Kawasaki you are there customer not the dealers in Kawies mind, You can have warranty work performed at any dealer you prefer, I bought my V an hour away to save a grand and let the local boys do the warranty or recall work because they have a obligation to Kawie to do so, They get paid from them just like they would if they sold the bike in the first place [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is true...technically, you should be able to get warranty work performed at any Kaw. dealership. However, they usually ask me if I bought it there for some weird reason (this goes for warranty and non-warranty service)...so I'm not sure what that's all about. Once I took it to a dealership near my home for a few simple warranty repairs (not the same dealership where I bought it) and the service tech was real luke-warm about doing the work and whether or not the warranty would cover it...then he asked me if I bought the quad there and I told him honestly that I had NOT bought it there...and I also reminded him nicely that it should not matter b/c the warranty is good at all Kaw. dealerships. The result was that this guy suddenly started giving me all kinds of excuses telling me it could be 3 weeks before he could even look at my quad (I got the distinct feeling that he did not want to mess with my repair work, especially after I told him that I did not buy it from him). So I left and never went back there for any service work (nor will I ever buy a quad there)!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Where are the air screws located? Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Prairie 700 idle problems