Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 now goes 74 mph.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 now goes 74 mph.

I swapped out my primary for a newer unit, to expiriment with some machining... it is harder to do on the '02's ( you'll likely need to pull the clutch, but on the newer ones, I think you can do it right on the quad... they are just inexpensive parts, & there is likely little to worry about as far as wear, ( unless they were totally shot )... they just get noisy, as they wear...

Old 09-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Ok....it just got cool here in the last couple of days and maybe thats why I am hearing it more.I had considered just replacing the whole unit with a 700 one.I think I have seen guys do that...???
02 650 camo

Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

KOD,

good job, i thinking of doing that as well. im waiting for the key.

the hardest thing for me is, I DONT WANT TO TEAR IT DOWN AND THEN SOMEBODY COMES OVER AND WANTS TO RIDE. if you know what i mean.

your face plate. you installed the washers under it. would you say that turning the face plate is not nessary? just wondering.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

cuda440, I highly recommend this mod. I did mine the way I did because I wanted to get it done before the weekend. Turns out it works pretty darn good. I would recommend finding someone with a 4 jaw chuck though. I really dont mind taking the 060" off the movable sheave. I wish I had the chance to mill the spider contact areas but didnt so I just had the guy mill the whole plate. One thing is for sure and that is its got to be very very light weight. The 060" off the movable sheave also reduced sliding weight.

Mike, you gonna check your speed with the radar gun? Im also glad I got back with my right leg LOL.

tuffEnuff, dont know about "DA MAN" part LOL but thanks anyway. Im running stock Keihen jets 150/148 with a .030" spacer under the stock needles. I may end up going to a 152/150 combo after my last

Plug check "go to pic 29". I believe you will really like the parts you have on hand waiting to go in. Thanks for the comment on the site.

Nova Kaw 650, Im glad to hear you say that about the ticking noise. Im gonna take some bushing measurements anyway but if I dont see anything Im not gonna worry about it either.

travelor, CWG, I dont keep secrets like some guys try to. I also like to back up what I say with pictures as some type of proof. Thanks for the comments, and CWG, the mod only cost me $20. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

kodiak1, rubicon20032003 replaced his primary with a P700 one.

deerchooper, turning the whole face plate shouldnt be needed. Only mill the contact areas where it touches the spider. Eddies welding didnt have that machine and if I wanted to ride with a modded clutch before last weekend I had to have the plate machined down like I did. Thats how the gap got there and why I had to use the washers. Funny thing is its working pretty darn good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

KOD, where did you get the info on how to make this mod? I looked over your pics. I have access to mills, lathes with four jaw chucks etc. But am still confused at the proper way of doing this. Do I take .030 of each side. I have the tools to seperate the clutch assembly. Also the part that I don't get is the milling the spider's? Is there someplace I can find more info? Wanting to hit that 75 mark. Thanks for all your help.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

The best way to do it I guess is take .030" off each sheave and .060" off the four contact areas the cover plate contacts the spider.

Talk with Red650 or Nova Kaw 650. I think they will tell you the same thing though. Maybe they can explain it better. If you are hitting 72 now on level ground I dont see any problem you hitting 75 on level ground with this mod.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

reds650 is the first person I was aware of that did this mod, and that's who I got all my info from.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

I don't want to take credit away form anyone, but Kawituner did this mod about two months after the 650 first came out 3 years ago. I posted what he did and report speeds (speedo) of 76-78 MPH.

He ruined his first clutch by going up to far on one side, which turned me off from pushing it.

Kod by posting the pics and how to, will open this mod up for everyone. Good job KOD

Old 09-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks shotgun. After two days of working 12 hour shifts, I plan on getting the P650 cleaned up and examined. I will take some better pictures of where the machining took place on the movable sheave. I never knew kawituner did this mod.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:21 AM
CWG
Pro Rider

Who cares who was first? I didnt see KOD claiming to be the inventor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Like the exhaust mod on Nyrocs page, I found another obscure website with a very, very similar mod on a different quad from maybe a year earlier.
Dam fine these folks invest the time and effort into something, take the time to post it and listen to feedback for further improvements.
Its fuel, air, spark baby! I'm sure theres TONS of mods that work on small block chevy's that apply here too.
I havent seen a thread about indexing spark plugs so the gap faces the intake valve(s) teeeee
Salute~

Quick Reply: P650 now goes 74 mph.