Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BIG BORE COMPARISON

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG BORE COMPARISON

In my opinion, the Brute Force is the best overall utility quad available today. Here's why:

The emerging reports on the KQ is that it handles very nice but is comparitively down on power. The EFI feature is no doubt nice and so is the price, but power wise it's down compared to the BF and Prairie 700 and surely to the new SP 800. If you're not a power freak like I am, this might be the quad for you.

The Prairie 700 is an awesome quad too, but in light of all the new offerings it's starting to look dated. The solid rear axle is definitely on it's way out in utility quads. As IRS is perfected the Prairie is quickly becoming a has-been much like the Banshee or 400 ex is in sport quads.

I've read three reviews on the new SP800 and it looks awesome. Polaris is coming around. I just wish they could find a way to drop weight and adhere to the Japanese makers self-imposed 600 pound weight limit for quads. The looks of the SP 800 is second to none in my opinion. I love the new widened stance and I've read that it's very stable and fast. However, 760 pounds is simply too heavy for me to ever own one. It's definitely my second choice for big bores available at this time.

The Rincon handles very nicely and looks good but is so down on power it can hardly even be considered a big bore. I'd be upset if I were a Honda fan, they are falling behind and are seemingly making no plans to catch up. Maybe when they loose significant market share they'll wake up. Bottom line on the Rincon: nice looking quad with no guts or a low gear.

The Grizzly is one of my favorite quads of all time. It's just terribly in need of an update. Yamaha intriques me and I'm VERY excited to see their updated Grizzly. It has the most potential to knock Kawasaki off the podium in my opinion. You know they'll make the updated Grizz awesome. I've heard unsubstaniated rumors of 800 EFI, which would be too good to pass up. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

The Bombardier 650 isn't even worthy of comment. It's simply an embarrasment compared to EVERY other big bore utility. The step through design is painful to look at and could cause more problems than benfits in my opinion. I've heard rumors of an Outlander 800 which would be nice, but until I see it Bombardier is so painfully behind that they aren't worthy of even a mention.

So in conclusion, the Brute Force is the clear winner AS OF NOW in my opinion. The power is superior no matter what you hear. The power is so befitting of it's name. It's a big quad that has feather light steering. It's got awesome ground clearance. The ride is very smooth. Also contrary to what I have read, it is an EXCELLENT mudder and rough terrain quad. The differential lock is the best in the business. It goes uphill and downhill with the best of them. It's brakes are also the best in the business. It's not by any means a perfect quad, it does have it's faults. First and foremost, it's ugly! The IRS is not the best in the business, that title goes to the Rincon or the KQ. The seat height is a little high also. Overall though, it's the best utility quad out there.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention the lack of EFI as another fault of the BF.

Also, another bigbore I forgot to mention ios the new BF 650. I think that price wise this a very attractive quad for those that want a big bore but don't want to pay the big bore price. You get all the features of the BF 750 such as updated styling (take it or leave it but it's still better than the aging styling of the Prairie), differential lock and sealed rear brake for the same price as every other makers 400-500 cc machines. However you get a solid rear axle and a motor that is great but is getting over run by the new offerings by Polaris and Suzuki. Bottom line: awesome quad for the price if you want to give up some features.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I also forgot to mention the Arctic Cat 650's. The V2 version uses a Kawasaki 650 v twin so it's comparitively down on power. I like the updated look and I've heard they're great rough terrain quads but the bottom line on them is that they are heavy, down on power and Arctic Cat still has quality control issues. The new H1 650 is interesting. There's a lot of talk about the low end on this quad. I suspect however that it too will be down on power and it will also be overweight and suffer the same issues that the V2 suffers from so it really doesn't compare with the new offerings.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have not been on a BF yet, so I can't say what the power is like. But I do have a KQ, and yes it doesn't hit at the bottom like I would like. I had a V, so I know what the twin can do. But the KQ makes up a lot of that low end with great mid and top. The reason I bought the KQ over the BF was more about the handleing. I don't do much drag racing, or strait line mud running, but more like GNCC style racing. The BF was just to tall and narrow. It might get to the corner quicker, but if it can't handle the corner, what good is the power. Yes new rims and tires will help, but from past experience when you use wheels to add width in the front end, it ampilflies(sp) bump steer big time. The KQ comes at a perfect width and height for woods racing. I put on 40 hard miles today and the KQ just carved the corners. But even tho it doesn't feel like the hit of a twin, I still got it to 52mph in 300' and today I was able to get it up to 69mph on a open section. So the KQ gives up over 50cc to the BF and is $400 cheaper with EFI, still can hold its own. I feel there is no other IRS out there that can woods race like the KQ can. The BF might beat me in a strait away, but I can allmost garrenty the KQ will beat it threw the woods.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

I completely agree with your comments. For your needs, the KQ is the better quad, and it is a very fine quad. My comparison was based on overall aspects of each quad. There is no doubt that for GNCC style utility racing that the KQ and the Prairies are the best. Congrats on your new quad, I really like it.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

Raced a new 650 cat today and lost. He must have gotten a good one . Only 4 miles on it and he is heavier. He gets about a bike ahead and stays there. He tops out more as well. 65mph. I did have the mud lights on. He also raced a stock 700 prairi and gets the jump to 45 then 700 pulls about a bike ahead to top end at 65 for both.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

everyone talks about the out dated lok of the 650p/700p, its only been out for 4 years now!!

look at honda, with the recon and the ES'S. NOW those are out dated.

i just cant see the prairie's being out dated, heck the big three dont even change there cars look's in a 4 year period.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Ge4x4,
Yesterday, during a test drive session I had, Elka presented us a Brute force equiped with their complete suspension upgrade. And I am telling you, it will more than solve your Brute Force handling problem, and remove about 2 inch of foam from your seat to lower your center of gravity and you have got nice racer my friend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]!

Old 10-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LittleBoy
Ge4x4,
Yesterday, during a test drive session I had, Elka presented us a Brute force equiped with their complete suspension upgrade. And I am telling you, it will more than solve your Brute Force handling problem, and remove about 2 inch of foam from your seat to lower your center of gravity and you have got nice racer my friend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]!
I don't doubt it a bit. I had Elka's on my V-Force and it was my best mod. But the brute is $7600, 4 Elka's has got to be at least $2000 most likely more, then hacking up the seat. But it still needs to be wider. 43" in the front is not good for fast corners. So there's another $550 for tires and rims. So now your over $10000 to make it race worthy. My KQ is allready lowered even more then what the Elka's will give the BF, I'm stock at 45" wide in the front, which is allmost perfect for woods racing, but I will still buy new tires and rims, stockers have to much roll. And it has more then enough power to get me through the woods. I'm sure someone will have a good handleing BF, but that's just to much money right now to make it race worthy. Other then tires, I can race mine now.