Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

When to change belt & oil/coolant fluids

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When to change belt & oil/coolant fluids

I have a kawa 700 prairie with a 2" lift, 26" ITP 589's, vision rims and a 2.5 warn winch. I now have 750 miles on the bike. I had a new belt put on at about 80miles because I burned up the 1st one due to my igronance of pulling a 700 polaris out in hi range (which by the way, it pulled it out with no problems other than the belt started smoking). I have a few questions.

1. When do I change out the belt?
2. How often should I change the oil?
3. What type of filter and oil should I use?
4. Can I get the filter and oil from a auto parts place or do I have to get them from the dealer?
5. How often should I change the coolant?
6. Should I use just water in the coolant or ethylene glycol (antifreeze) or a combination of both?
7. Are there other fluids that I need to check and change?
8. How often should I change the spark plugs, and if so, what type should I use?

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Belt life is influenced by a bunch of things. But if you check and adjust your belt tension and don't let it get too loose/tight, then the belt can last for a couple thousand miles.....or not, depending on how you ride/abuse it......take the cover off and inspect it often, learn to check the tension, By a shop manual!
2) Oil changes are cheap insurance. I change oil at least every 20-25 hours,and sometimes more often , particualrly if I notice it becoming black...
3) some people think oil is oil, I don't, so I use Kawachemlubeamatic stuff,or whatever it's frickin called, I buy it at the dealer, again it's cheap insurance.
4) yes to both.
5) Coolant is good for a long time, but maybe it would be a good idea to change it every season, once a year, again , its's cheap.
6) 50/50 water and antifreeze, and add some "water wetter" of similiar product before you top it off, that stuff really does work and will keep it a lot cooler...
7)Front and rear diff has oil to check the level in.... battery fluid level,.....check for leaking suspension parts, rear shock, front struts,....check your wheel bearings periodically,....check drive line tighness and boots covering those parts,.....check for loose nuts and bolts, often, lube cables, check all suspension parts often....you don't want anything fallin off,...check your steering......check the brakes.......BUy a manual.
8) Plugs last a long time especially since the birth of solid state ignitions....buy two plugs and keep them in your tool box....

Have on hand, like in your tool box, extra nuts and bolts....spark plugs, tire repair kit, portable air pump...and any other basic stuff you need, so if your camp is a hundred miles out in the desert and something breaks,...maybe you can fix it and not have to park it....

Old 10-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks BUDXXX....that is good information and I will get the manuals soon. Is it difficult to adjust and/or change the belt??? Again, thanks.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

dont buy a wix filter for your prairie it doesnt have the valving that the ones from the dealer do and they wont warrany the engine, so i was told from my dealer if it has anything but the kawa filter on it

Old 10-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Every thing is hard to do, the first time! Once you know your way around these things, it ain't rocket science no more....

If you follow directions in manual or look at other forum member's "how to" pages, it's pretty easy.....