Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mounting tires on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting tires on wheels

Need some tips for mounting tires on new rims. Installing the new valve stems was a snap. Do I need to use tire spoons?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

If you have never done it before, you are better off taking them to a tire shop. ATV tires use a bead lock edge on the wheels to keep them on at very low psi. This makes them extremely hard to mount and dismount. You have to have a special tool to break the beads loose. It can be done with spoons, but not easy, and you risk damaging the wheels and the bead on the tire.

I use a portable tire machine from Harbor Freight. I have mounted many, some were easy, some took two hours and three people!

Use dish soap and water to lube the bead for dismounting. Remove valve core until air is removed, but don't push on tire to push anymore air out. Reinstall valve core and then use the bead breaker to break bead loose. the little bit of air in the tire makes it easier. You can also use dish soap to mount, but you are better off using something like Meyer's truck tire mounting lube. It is nasty stuff that looks like axle grease. Get some at a tire shop. It will make mounting the tire much easier and also allow you to seat the bead.

Once you have the tire on the rim, rotate the tire on the rim, so that your right and left side tire lugs will match up on both wheels. if you don't do this, the bike will pull to one side on acceleration. Make sure the bead lock area of the rim and the tire bead is lubed VERY good. Remove the valve core, Set the regulator on you compressor to 50 psi or less, hold the chuck on the valve until you hear both beads pop into place (BE CAREFUL). Hopefully it will only take about 25 psi to do this. Anything more than that becomes dangerous. Once the beads are seated, reinstall the valve core and inflate to recommended pressure 3-6 psi or so.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the excellent info. I am always in search of mecanical knowledge.
I am determined to learn and do this myself. Like you said, the real pisser is getting the tire mounted on the rim. Thanks for the tip on Meyer's truck tire mounting lube.

Since I already installed the valve stems, what is involved to remove the valve core? I don't want to damage the stem.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Amazingly enough, what you need is a valve core tool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It is a simple tool that you can probably get at Wal-Mart (look in the auto dept for the tire patches, plugs, valve caps, etc.)

If you go get some tire lube at a tire shop, have them show you one. Mine is on the back of a small screwdriver.

Imagine an 1/8" round piece of metal, with a notch cut in the end like the head of a wood screw. That little notch fits over the core in the valve stem. Just unscrew it counterclockwise and it will come out easy. Don't overtighten it when you put it back in, or you will crush the seals.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

dude is right it might be something you let someone else do...but then again if you are inclined to try it isnt really that hard..i have a bead breaker i welded up myself...similar to nyrocs but mine can be bolted to anything..or put in a trailer hitch reciever (like his)....as for seating them i have always just used dawn dish soap and my hands wether the tires were stockers...or big *** mudlites....either way a little soap and some elbow grease and on they go....also in a jam we have actually used my trucks left front tire, and carefully driven over the damaged tire with the steering wheel all the way to the left so it actually somewhat followed the rim and pop off it comes..but i dont not recomend this method to anyone....kinda spooky and you risk destroying your wheels..also it really does a number on the tire that you are removing..so only do it if the tires is a goner for sure.