Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Can I run my P650 without the Front Drive Shaft installed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I run my P650 without the Front Drive Shaft installed?

I have a race scheduled for this Sunday and my 2wd/4wd actuator is broken and unavailable...my front diff and actuator parts won't arrive until early November at the earliest. As it sits, there is a 1 or 2" hole in the side of my front diff. where the 2wd/4wd actuator normally plugs in. Looking into this hole, you can easily see inside where the collar which slides back and forth over a shaft to engage/disengage 4wd. I don't want to just cover up/seal the hole and race it as is b/c the collar might randomly move back and forth and cause it to engage in 4wd at random times while racing. I don't think I have room to install a hose clamp to lock the collar into either 2wd or 4wd (at least not without dissassembling the front diff - which I would like to avoid if possible).

Here's my proposed solution, race my quad in 2wd without the front drive shaft installed...that way, it won't matter if the collar located inside the front diff happens to slide back and forth. So what do you guys think? Will this cause any problems or damage to my motor or front diff. by racing it without the front drive shaft and without the 2wd/4wd actuator installed?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have raced mud bogs where they require me to take the front shaft out to run in the 2wd class. It comes out very easy without any tools. You will not damage anything by running with the drive shaft out. Both ends are sealed. I have plastic caps that fit over the splined shafts but if you do not have caps you can just clean the splined shafts good and relube before installing the shaft back on. Nothing gets into the engine or front diff.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Cuda440
I have raced mud bogs where they require me to take the front shaft out to run in the 2wd class. It comes out very easy without any tools. You will not damage anything by running with the drive shaft out. Both ends are sealed. I have plastic caps that fit over the splined shafts but if you do not have caps you can just clean the splined shafts good and relube before installing the shaft back on. Nothing gets into the engine or front diff.

Thanx for the response. Where did you find your plastic caps to go over the splined shafts? That sounds like a good idea.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]