Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1000cc V-Twin Sport Utility ATV.BIGGER, BETTER?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000cc V-Twin Sport Utility ATV

bah if they ever put this in a atv, im sure it would be in a big heavy ute. They need to learn to Also put it in a sport bike like hte kfx700 with a manuel clutch, that would own.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: asnowmobiler
Bombadeer has a 1000 V-twin in a snowmobile,from what i've read it is pig slow but then agian most four wheelers are pigs when compared to snowmobiles.
This is old news. It was leaked long ago that bomb would be using their 4 tec vtwin sled engine as a basis for a utility atv. The buzz is that it will start at around 800cc.

BTW, the bomb v1000 is equal to the 600sdi in terms of performance.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

I don't know about this one. I suppose, this is where we've been heading since the Grizzly 600. Who knows where it'll end. Does it have to end? Still...a 1000cc ATV? I can, however, easily envision a 1000cc Yamaha Rhino (or similar type machine). Could this be where the rumors are coming from?

Moo,
WheelCow

Old 10-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

I hear Harley was wanting in the market (some time) ago and was testing protypes and could not keep the drivetrain in the thing and it weighed 1000lbs and was 1000cc called project mud hog??????? I don't know this as pure fact but two people who was in the factory has seen this 4 wheeled thing with a sportster looking engine in it, I personaly dont belive it but could be, Knowing Harley I dont think they can hardly keep up with the production of motor cycles....

Old 10-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Trailblazer

I think Yamaha will put it in a new 4x4 Utility.

Yamaha is always a front runner. I mean look at the YZF450. It's the fastest production quad made BY FAR. They also have the Raptor which is right their at the top of the pack.

Yamaha doesn't have a V-Twin quad at the moment..... a 1000cc Twin would be a good place to start don't ya think?

Old 10-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

IMHO, This bigger,better,faster thing is getting out of hand. How much power is too much power? Or how much power is usable power? I was talking to Alltoys and he has around 80 hp out of his 700. He told me it is rather quirky for trail riding as there is just too much torque. Don't get me wrong, power is WAY cool, and I am no different than a lot of guys on this forum as I have modded my 650 to get more power out of it, but remember the 500 Quadzilla years ago? Brought on a lot of controversy. I think the manufacturers need to really think about what they are doing. Can I see a 1000CC mill in a Ute in the near future? Yup. And guys will flock to buy it cause it is the biggest and baddest and blah blah blah. I ride with a lot of guys who have a lot of different brand of machines, and we all get to the top of the hill and we all get stuck. These are 4x4 UTILITY quads so how much is too much? Just my .02 cents

Old 10-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You have to remember that most states signify that any vehicle that you straddle has to be under 800cc to be considered an atv. So unless the laws change people who want to use thier machine on public trails will have to stick with machines under that limit.

As far as whether or not the power is necessary, it is, but maybe not for you. Most trail riders, recreational riders, hunters who ride a half mile out to thier spot, etc can all get by with a 350-400cc utility. But for the people that have to return elk or moose to the lodge, haul ranch and farm equipment, use planters, spreaders, and seeders, and the like can all benefit from the extra towing and hauling capacities of these larger machines.

What we have is a case of the weekend recreational utility atv rider purchasing an atv that far exceeds his necessities. But this is nothing new. Countless people have just entered the sport and have a yfz 450 as their first atv. How many trail riders need that kind of power and that aggressive of a suspension? The yfz is really meant for racers, but people are quick to use it in every other way imagineable, which is to be expected. I imagine the same thing will continue to happen in the utility atv world.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if they should or will stop at 1000cc. Look at Sport motorcycles. In the 80's a 600cc bike with 75 hp was good. then in the 90's 750's with 110hp were good. Now if your not riding a 1000cc bike with at least 150hp you can't go out and play with the big boys.

On street motorcycles there is an industry self imposed rule of 300KPH which is 186 MPH regulation agreed to by all bike manufactures. This agreement was done to prevent government regulation and oversight in Europe.

As we all know the faster you go the more it's going to hurt when the inevitable happens. At some point the litigious society we all live in will force the manufactures to impose some sort of top engine cc/speed/weight/hp/tire configuration/something to limit quads. IMHO I think that will be unfortunate.

Three Wheelers have all gone the way of the Dodo because of the law suits filed in the 80's. Think about this, the biggest badest three wheelers were 250cc two strokes and 350cc four strokes. We are over twice that size now in engine displacement. When a 800 lb quad rides you down a hill it's going to hurt a lot more then when that little 250R three wheeler did it.

As we all remember the lawsuits that ended the life of our beloved three wheelers it will really be unfortunate if that happens with quads. Since I am ranting here what is up with the stupid age limits they have on quads. An 11 year old kid can walk in the the local shop and buy a new CRF450 dirt bike that goes from 0 to death in 4 seconds but he can't ride 125CC quad at the sand dunes (sorry had to toss that in).

As a firm believer in the Darwin approach to natural selection let the people who have the skills, talent and a need a to compensate for other short comings, buy these 1000CC quads. It will advance the technology of the sport in general and the rest rest of us can tow them home with our little 700cc quads when those big gas guzzlers run out of fuel out on the trail.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well said curls.

Old 10-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mastrblastr
IMHO, This bigger,better,faster thing is getting out of hand. How much power is too much power? Or how much power is usable power?
In answer to your question, ... ATVs are not there yet. And I would think we could stay calm, and wait another decade or so before they get close. ATVs, in general, are way down on power compared to just about any other power sport. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
A 1000cc sport<u>utility</u> ATV sounds like something Bombardier would do.

OL

Quick Reply: 1000cc V-Twin Sport Utility ATV.BIGGER, BETTER?