Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Low Cost Big Bore Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Cost Big Bore Project

Well I have been wanting to go with a bigger power increase without loosing controllability. I found that a 785 or 800 was to wrangy for the woods at least for a prolonged period of time. The next best thing was to beef up the motor compression, install larger cams, and all important head porting.
The work was done by Ray at Fundy Power Sports in Nova Scotia. I can truly say it was the most dramatic power increase over stock for the least amount over a big bore. It changed my SUV into a sports car with lots of usable horse power anymore would make it to much for the woods IMO. I went from 43 HP stock to an impressive 73 HP at the crank. Ray does an impressive job with head porting alone this is one of the most important things that a person can do for the Prairie or V Force.
We, myself and Ray with his updated V Force that now has 92 HP at the crank and my new sporty Prairie with 73HP went to the quad races not far from his home. At the races my new sporty 700 managed a 2nd place in the 4x4 class behind another Prairie that Ray had done up called the Green Monster. Ray was racing my quad and could have won the race but he did a wheely on the start and had to get out of it to correct a sideways power role. I also came in 4th in the Outlaw class behind 2 drag quads and Rays very powerful V Force.
My system was about half the price of a big bore with about 10 HP less than a big bore with Rays head porting techniques. I was showed where other shops have done the porting and actually lost HP from the dyno results. Head porting can be a big boost just make sure you get the best and I believe Ray is if not the best darn close to it. Ray also showed some of his tricks to get his 785 V Force from 82 HP up to 92HP.
There are very few people I would have work on my machine and I can say I would have Fundy Power Sports do all my work. It is to bad they are 5300 KM from my house!!!!

Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Ditto
If they were within 500 miles they would have my Quad's Heads. I hear shipping to Canada is quite expensive.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

Shipping isn't bad the problem is purchasing. When I buy something from the US it is double by the time it gets to me, custom charges are murder. Try shipping by the post office instead of UPS or a currier by land it is far less expensive, slower but affordable.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

how bout some details were did you get your pistons, cams what pipe you running, jetting sounds realy good i heard michys kit is around 1200 with out install thanks

Old 10-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Rulingtheroost,

The pistons are Wiseco 82mm same as stock just a higher compression, Cams are FST high lift high duration, the pipe I can't remember the name will have to look at the quad later on it is covered in mud still. What I can tell you is it is a full system with larger piping from the head straight through to the exhaust. The exhaust housing is stainless and has excellent packing with 12 discs for performance. The best thing is the sound was comparable to stock and when the motor was revved up it sounded like a Ninja street bike. It doesn't produce as much torque on the bottom and mid range as a White Bros. exhaust but does have a constant gain up to max rpm and produces more HP on the top end than the White Bros.

What I like about the exhaust is it makes the quad sound like stock even when you punch the motor sounds almost like stock. It is not anywhere near as loud as the performance exhausts so a person can use the quad for trail riding and still go up against sport quads with success. I went up against performance 2 wheel drive quads on the weekend and beat them hands down.

One thing that is rather important as well, Ray degreed the cams because even though the cams are basically set from factory they can be off slightly. The front cam was 5* off from the rear this was modified to be in time with rear cam which was dead on.

As for pricing, Mickeys set would have cost me twice as much as with shipping, exchange rate from CDN to US currency plus customs charges I was looking at close to $4500 CDN. My modds cost me half that with respectable HP gains. I gained 30 HP where as Mickeys would have put me close 40 HP but at twice the cost. At least this way I can still use it for trail rides and not be afraid for the family to use the quad.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Alltoys - you were in our neck of the woods and we didn't know about it??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Which race did you attend and did Ray take any video to post on his website?
Your exhaust sounds similar to my Supertrapp; the headpipes are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch bigger than stock pipes. Not loud with 12 discs, either.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I think we all are dissaponited... I think he was concerned he would be eaten up by us on his slow P700[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I just have one question... which one is faster the green monster or alltoys? LOL

Old 10-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

Hey Guys,
Nova it is the Supertrap we used on Altoys ride.
Kawi, I sent an E mail to Brook's to let him know Gary was here and we were racing on the next weekend.
Gary's bike pulled a bit on the green monster on top (between 200 and 300ft)
We didn't get a good run together, it was real muddy.
Dynoray

Old 10-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply, Dynoray

Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw650,

The exhaust is the Supertrapp IDS I believe. I like it, it sounds almost like stock with good power gains. I did take video soon as I get it on disc I will send it to Ray from there he can use it on his site. My quad had all the racks on it and a fuel tank holder on the back and was still a little faster than the Green Monster!!! I am very happy with the build.