Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Winter riding, jetting changes anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter riding, jetting changes anyone?

This will be my first winter with my quad, are any of you midwest boys making any jetting changes? I have not ridden mine in a couple weeks so it will be interesting to see how she runs when it starts to get cold. I figure mine will run fine but if I can tweek it for the better I will, because I don't mind one bit swapping mains, I got it down to a science.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

go a step richer, cold air is more dense so the need to go richer will be evident, i beleive you could also just turn the mixture screw too

Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

Hey another minnesotan! Im from brainerd. I try to to tough it out to at least -10 to -15 below 0 if it starts, hand and thumbwarmers are a worthwhile investment too. It takes a little bit longer to warm up with more spit and sputter but once it reaches full operating temp it runs as good as it does when its 70. good luck.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Nutsy I was wanting to step up from a 152 to a 155 main on my 750,it should be like the 700. Tell me some tips to help me out.Thanks man.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:32 AM
Range Rover

Silverado, I am still leaner than in stock form and all I have done to tweek my quad since going to the 126 front and 130 rear is adjusting my pilots. Actually, I think my quad was perfect with 124 front and 128 rears before my Dynatek CDI. I had actually just switched to 126 and 130 just to see how she ran. I thought it was a tish rich and then when I got my CDI I just adjusted my pilots and it runs great. I might just leave it this way or try the 124, 128 mains with my CDI. I definitely am not going any richer unless I do something to my airbox etc. When I put my jet kit in and K&N air filter it was a very nice change from stock, I would imagine your Brute would run even better with leaner mains just like my Prairie did. WHen I test drove the Brute a couple months ago it had a weird off idle sputter, does yours? I think jetting yours leaner could make it even more of a monster!

Old 10-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Nutsy I replaced my needle to a richer NFKL needle to get rid of the low speed miss and its gone,I was going to go richer on the main in the front carb and wass wondering if you have any tips on pulling the carbs to replace the mains.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Range Rover

Silverado, take your time and be patient, those darn brass screws are a b#tch to get out. I took a screwdriver that fit perfect and was short and stout and tapped it with a hammer to help break loose the screws. After that it was a breeze, be careful putting the mains back in and don't rough them up with a flathead that is not thick enough. Wouldn't want a small piece of metal clogging up the main. I actually roughed up one of mine and found a piece inside the main when I was experimenting with the jetting and changing them out. I now actually still use one or two of the brass screws that are in good shape, the rest I changed to the allen head type. If you haven't already, check out Nyroc and KOD's website, lot's of good stuff on there.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, must disagree with sweet650 about hand and thumb warmers being worthless.
They work believe me. And worth every dollar when you are a 60 mile ride and its 30 degrees.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Range Rover

sweet 650 wrote, Hey another minnesotan! Im from brainerd. I try to to tough it out to at least -10 to -15 below 0 if it starts, hand and thumbwarmers are a worthwhile investment too. It takes a little bit longer to warm up with more spit and sputter but once it reaches full operating temp it runs as good as it does when its 70. good luck. Sounds to me like he likes them! LOL

Old 10-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Pro Rider

Yea your right , My bad
great addition for cold ridding.
Apologize to sweet650, misread , I guess was looking at all this negative stuff recently with elections.

Quick Reply: Winter riding, jetting changes anyone?