Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

No more prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more prairie?

HousefullofKawi,

You're in a unique situation, owning all three. Can you tell us how the 3 bikes compare (power, handling, ride, etc.)? I'm researching a first-time ATV purchase. Is the ride on a SRA that bad? Never owning an ATV previously, I don't know that I would miss the IRS. What are your thoughts?

I've seen the new BF650, and thought it looked pretty good (better than the Prairie, at least), but I like the reputation of the Prairie. I was wondering if it were really the same 650 Prairie w/ new plastic. If so, it sounds like a win/win.

What kind of experiences have you had w/ reliability? Obviously, it's a huge issue as I consider my purchase. Heard some stories about the BF750 and the KQ700, etc. It sounds so simple, but all I want is an ATV w/ top quality/reliability, a strong engine, nice handling, diff lock, and disc brakes. IRS and EFI would be a plus, but I'm not sure it's a necessity.

Need your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No more prairie?

I'd take a P700 over a Brute any day..........

Old 11-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Range Rover
Default No more prairie?

I won't get in to what the BF650 is compared to the Prairie 700. What I will get into is SRA vs. IRS. The suspension setup have their + and-.
SRA gives you a lower ride height.
SRA can give the ability to ride faster because you sit lower to the ground.
IRS gives a higher ride height, you can put bigger tires on IRS quads
IRS quads squat in the rear when you accelerate hard. (NOT JUST KAWIE'S, EVERY QUAD)

The disadvantage to me of IRS is when you are riding and you are on a hill. Let's say you can't make it up the hill, when you start to back down the hill you have to keep the handlebars pefectly straight. If you don't, the IRS will load up on whatever side is turning(backing down turning left right side preloads) this preload action can actually cause the quad to start to tip over. I know this from experience. I flipped about three IRS quads this way. Does this disadvantage outway the advantages. To me, NO.

I think the IRS and SRA quads are in two different leagues. If I wanted to ride fast and ride likea sport uad would go with the SRA. If you are into mud boggin and serious hardcore wheeling then go with IRS. The extra ground clearance that the IRS can give you is a big deal.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Banned
Default No more prairie?

In my opinion, I think the BF650 is an excellent looking bike and looks better than the Prairie. And I agree with what cc1999 said, if Kawasaki adds the 750 motor, it would be even better.

I was planning on purchasing early next year, but I may wait to see what Kawasaki is doing

IronBear..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default No more prairie?

.. y'know, to be honest with ya, I think Suzuki has the better idea with their King Quad and Twin Peaks. One has IRS and the other SRA with that lovely motor. So Kawasaki may have something cooking, because some of us must ride green.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default No more prairie?

There is talk of a team green brute 750 aroudn the plant. Il let you konw when they decide the final word on it.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default No more prairie?

Chris,
take a look at this Kawi Green Brute Force It suffered a DNF at the Baja 1000 race this last weekend, from a blown engine 600 miles into the race.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Range Rover
Default No more prairie?

Hey I think that's Mike Penland. Look Here Mike penland

Old 11-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default No more prairie?

Yeah- that's our man, but the quad looks like an- dare I say it, Arctic Cat in our colors.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default No more prairie?

Originally posted by: chrisbruteforce98
There is talk of a team green brute 750 aroudn the plant. Il let you konw when they decide the final word on it.

Chris are they talking about the IRS brute or the SRA brute for the team green special eddition 750.
I realy hope they offer that BF SRA(prarie) chassis quad with the new 750 motor. I have owned or test road all the quads currently out and IMO the prarie chassis is still the best out there. I am looking forward to the DW test of all the big bore quads. that deal in this months issue comments at the end that they will put this years top quads up against the current king the P700.

Quick Reply: No more prairie?