Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lift kit and tire question for P700

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit and tire question for P700

I am sick of getting hung up on obstacles with my Prairie 700. My friend with a 350cc Wolverine with 26"ITP's made it through a mudhole that my P700 got hungup in. My questions are, How bad does the lift kit affect the overall handling of the quad? If I lift it, should I also replace the front springs with progressive or will the stock ones due for now? What size tire and brand of tire would you recommend for over all use in both mud and trails. I was leaning towards ITP589's but not too familiar with the biggers sizes. Final question, how bad does lifting and big tires damage your quad?

Old 11-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Hedgehog. Just to let you know at my shop we usually leave the springs stock and use the lift kit from highlifter. As for tires most people choose the itp mudlites either 27'' or 28''. fronts we use the 10'' wide and rear we mount the 12 '' wide. You shouldn't see any problems with this set up, however I have seen a few break the front cv joint when put in a terrible bind with the wheels turned. I think its attributed to the lift more than the tires.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I built my own lift for my prairie. I tried a two inch spacer above the front strut but it was to much. The angle of the front axles was to severe and the axles touched the bottom of the strut and the aluminum knuckle. I had to cut it down to inch and three quarter. Now I have no clearance issues. I don't see the lift being the cause for a broken axle. The bigger and more agressive tires with the tremendous torque of the V-Twin are more likely the cause of breakage. Where the un-agressive stock tires would spin and the mud tires don't would put extreme force on the driveline. My lift doens't alter the spring rate. That's why I wanted the spacer instead of different springs. The front tires are leaning a little more then normal but I haven't noticed any handling problems yet. Although the big and heavier tires do hurt in steering and suspension action. As for tire type and size, the choices are limitless. Ideally for me I would like to have three sets to swap back and forth from. The Gators for muddin, either Holeshot ATR's or Carlisle Badland Radials for hardpack and racin, and Carlisle 489 XT's for pretty much all other terrain. Unfortunatley I don't think you can get the 489's anymore. Well, that's my two bits!! Hope this helps

Old 11-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

hey kawikid do you have any pics of your lift? I would like to fab my own too.