Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?

So what do you guys think of the latest dirtwheels debacle? I can handle the KQ being rated better overall, but the Polaris 700 better? I have a problem with that one. I don't feel that my Brute has half the problems that these guys seem to complain of. To listen to them, you'd think we all went out and bought a piece of junk. What a joke. (Just as a side note, I think the Brute's handling issues are primarily due to the dismal stock dunlop tires....mine does so much better with Badlands XTR's on it) Comments anyone?

Old 11-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

can you read it online somewhere? I don't want to buy their magazine.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I don't put any Value into what most magazines say. I will agree that the B.F. has some flaws... but nothing major.

The IRS is a decent design. It's not as plush as the KQ or PO700 and doesn't have the travel of the PO700, but it still offers a nice ride and does a good job on trails and off camber situations.

Ground clearance wise... the P700 does have a slight advantage, but when larger tires are added to the B.F. the advantage is very slim and IMO this really wouldn't be a factor. I believe the B.F. has the KQ beat in stock G.C.

I also agree that a tire and wheel set make a HUGE difference in the handling on the B.F. Much more stable and this would really cut into the margin of victory for the KQ their.

Power wise.. their is no contest. The B.F. is by far faster in a drag than the KQ or P700. I also believe that the B.F. can spin any set of tires as good or better than other 4x4 quad made due to it's low gearing and powerful low end. This does assume though that your belt is adjusted properly and that you are clutched properly for larger tires.

The airbox design is BY FAR the biggest design flaw on the B.F. and eventually someone will fix that. Poeple have already solved the missing problem w/ the correct needle. The tie rods may be a little weak, but I've had no problems w/ mine and their is a solution for them from DG.

When tuned right most B.F.s seem to run good and be fast. My tranny seems to work very good, and the axle's and drivetrain seem to be stout.

All it takes is a little work to have a very awesome quad. A quad that IMO can't be touched by any other brand.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

The results do not surprise me. I have two friends that are editors in the ATV industry, and they both have said pretty much the same thing, with both of them having complaints about handling just "not being right" with the Brute Force. The most frequent comment is that Kawasaki had hit the nail square on the head with the Prairie when it was released, but they missed a little with the Brute Force. I asked one of my magazine friends whether to buy a new Prairie, or a new Brute Force, and he told me that the Prairie would still win this years shootout if it were included. I bought the Prairie because I liked its design better though, not because of what an "editor" said. I try not to put too much stock into magazine shootouts.

OL

Old 11-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

are they comparing these quads with the stock tires? if so, I agree with them, the BF doesn't handle very good on the Dunflops. I think it will lose every shootout stock. kind of a shame because anyone who's upgraded the boots knows how much better it handles.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What gets me is that they did this shootout with the SP700 EFI rather than the new SP800 EFI. How can you call it a fair shootout when you use 2 manufactures biggest machines and NOT use the third manufacture's biggest machine?

Old 11-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

maybe it's because THEY COULDN"T FIND ONE! lmao!

Old 11-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2005BF750
maybe it's because THEY COULDN"T FIND ONE! lmao!
YET!, they had just done a test on one a few issues ago![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL

Old 11-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Kaw has been the shootout winner since the '02 Pra. 650 for three model years in a row, the others have been left down the list....It's time for the others to win for a while now........Think about it.......it makes sense for a mag to keep ALL the manufacter's somewhat happy and their advertising dollars coming in....and to keep Kaw on the top of the list year after year and the others 2nd 3rd and 4th best doesn't make the others happy and it could lead to less advertising revenue........letting the others take turns at the top spots make their models look good and keeps Kaw from "dominating" them year after year.....it's called being politically correct, plain and simple.......

Old 11-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: STAKK
Kaw has been the shootout winner since the '02 Pra. 650 for three model years in a row, the others have been left down the list....It's time for the others to win for a while now........Think about it.......it makes sense for a mag to keep ALL the manufacter's somewhat happy and their advertising dollars coming in....and to keep Kaw on the top of the list year after year and the others 2nd 3rd and 4th best doesn't make the others happy and it could lead to less advertising revenue........letting the others take turns at the top spots make their models look good and keeps Kaw from "dominating" them year after year.....it's called being politically correct, plain and simple.......
Thats taking advantage of customers.....thats unacceptable....but still happens. Pick up the mags to read about a quad, but never to get someone elses opinion.

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?