Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?

What stands out to me is their comments concerning the SP800 EFI. If they are correct about the minimal difference in acceleration compared to the SP700 EFI, I will be VERY disappointed in Polaris. At any rate, they should have used the SP 800 in the test or delay the test until they were able to get all the manufacturers big bores together. I think their comments concerning the other two were somewhat accurate. I felt they were a little hard on the BF though.

I've read review after review about the power the KQ has. None of the magazines address the stall that occurs from 0-5 mph. It's well documented so I know it's just not mine. I believe, and have ranted on the Suzuki forums, that the KQ's low end SUCKS. I know that I'm coming from a TP700 and a BF so I guess my standards are a little high but the fact remains. The power is very adequate and I really enjoy my KQ but in fairness the flaw should be brought up since every little problem the BF has is unfairly magnified.

Of the three compared, it would be difficult for me to pick a winner. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. If pressed, for my style of riding (muddy rivers, hills and casual to aggressive trail riding) , I would probably rate them as follows:

1. BF-I just wish the IRS was better and it had fuel injection.
2. KQ-very well manned but low end BLOWS
3. SP700 EFI-too heavy but so good looking and the storage and ride is second to none.

The real test is to follow when they compare the P700 to the KQ. I hope they throw the SP800 in there too for the Polaris guys. They deserve to be fairly represented.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

the problem with magazines is exactly what one of you said earlier. They can be biased at times. Take a look at all of the magazines and the YFZ450. They act like God created that machine and there are many people ou there that believe it is a piece. They have to keep people happy so your right it makes sense the Suzuki won.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

I think its just the fact that they arent that smart. Every time a new quad comes out they think its the biggest fastest best handling quad on the market. And its probably casue the manafuctures give them so much money to get it out on the market. So they dont want to slam thier new quad. So of course the sp800 is going to get good marks cause polaris is giving magazines like dirtwheels thousands of $$ to advertise it in ther magazine. In like 5 months when everyone has out there big quads, then mabey they can do a actuauly test. Truthfully there is no good place to see which one is better. Everyone will have a biost oppinion. What they need to do is get some lab people that know nothign about quads and then make them do tests on them and let them decide which one is the best. That would be the only true way to get a true winner. Till that happens it will allways be who gives the magazine the most money.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Could the Brute's "bad handling" be solely related to the shocks being poor? Or is it the geometry of the front and rear suspension arms? I wonder how this machine would do with a good set of Works Performance shocks. In other words, I wonder how easily these issues could be remedied?

Old 11-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scottd
Could the Brute's "bad handling" be solely related to the shocks being poor? Or is it the geometry of the front and rear suspension arms? I wonder how this machine would do with a good set of Works Performance shocks. In other words, I wonder how easily these issues could be remedied?
Putting shocks on is easy, but very expensive. Elka quoted me $2000 for shocks for my KQ. Works would be around $1500. Most people who spend $7600 on a quad don't want to spend a bunch more on shocks.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

Tires and wheels. I put C-Series Type 5 wheels and XTR's on mine and this really improved handling greatly. The stock tires are useless. This was my experience.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: chrisbruteforce98
And its probably casue the manafuctures give them so much money to get it out on the market. So they dont want to slam thier new quad. So of course the sp800 is going to get good marks cause polaris is giving magazines like dirtwheels thousands of $$ to advertise it in ther magazine.
You have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I'd guess that Kawi didn't come through with a big enough ad buy hence the lower rating. Suzuki and Polaris evidently did.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Take a good look at the King Quad and Brute Force's frames. You will notice that they are pretty much identical. From the oil bathed rear brake to the handlebar controls for the starter and override. The diff lock uses the same cable pull except on an overcenter lever instead of a pull and hold lever. The only difference between the two is the engine type and tires as well as plastic!! I have read the SP800 test in two different magazines and both were from different publishers and both showed the same pictures!! The text was like it was taken right out of the Polaris brochure!!! I have yet to recieve my Dirtwheels with the test in it but am looking forward to reading it. I think that it shouldn't matter how much a manufacturer advertises with you, if your quad doesn't perform with the rest of them then that's their own darn fault.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

Kawikid

One big thing that you overlooked between the two is, the KQ is 2" wider at the wheels and allmost 3" lower then the BF.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

kawiekid, i noticed the same thing. the BF and KQ chasis's looked like they were identical, especially the rear end. the hitch is even the same. i would like to set them side by side and compare. looks to me like the chassis was a joint effort.

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?