Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

SRS vs. IRS???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS vs. IRS???

If SRS is so good, why do all the race cars and sportscars have IRS? I'm sure if Ferrari thought SRS was better they put a solid rear end on the F50.

Maybe the ATV builders dont know how to build a good suspenstion yet!

Old 11-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRS vs. IRS???

Comparing ATV handling to that of cars is like apples to oranges.

Even straight axle cars have a dif inbetween - a necessity for a 6' wide vehicle that runs on pavement but something that's not needed for a 4' wide ATV that runs off-road. Even comparing ATV's to off-road racing cars/trucks is not accurate, as the greater size, weight and wheelbase makes for different handling characteristics.

The IRS / SRA debate will never end. Short story is that IRS will shine in technical trails, SRA is better for flat out sport performance and the grey area inbetween will be up to rider preference.

Jaybee

Old 11-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default SRS vs. IRS???

In some cases you can compare an ATV to a sports car.... for example.

A Trans-Am w/ their solid axle can launch harder than a Corvette w/ it's IRS. This makes the T/A a better drag strip car. However the IRS on the Vette allows it to handle somewhat better on the twistys.

I do agree that for sporty riding and drag racing the SRA is the way to go. For Off camber trails, rock climbs, and MUD I think the IRS is superior. Mostly due to the added ground clearance in the rear.

Also, IRS isn't as tough as Solid axle for racing. You'll break far more CV axles than you ever will solid axles at the strip. IRS just simply isn't made for Drag racing.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default SRS vs. IRS???

Originally posted by: Daranello75
Maybe the ATV builders dont know how to build a good suspenstion yet!
Bingo!

I think the handling of the ATV is its most important aspect, and when I ride a SRA Prairie 700 and an IRS Brute Force 750 back to back there is a night and day difference in handling. The Prairie 700 blows away the Brute Force so badly that there is no comparison, and I bought the rock solid crisp handling Prairie instead of the wallowing top heavy Brute Force. When someone in the ATV industry figures out how to build a good handling IRS ATV that has enough power I will buy it. The Rincon handled good, and I bought one of those, but it was the slowest dog ever built, was over geared, vibrated like an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle, and fell apart for no good reason. Put the Rincon chassis underneath a Brute Force and you will have a winner.

OL

Old 11-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default SRS vs. IRS???

I have a B.F. and they do "feel" tippy w/ the stock tires. However, I have been places w/ my Brute that turned some of past SRA machines over on their side, so the B.F. really isn't as tippy as it feels. Now that I've added the ITP C5's w/ the 27" 589's handling and stability are much improved. The B.F. is a pretty narrow quad and does sit quite high, this is why spacers or a aftermarket Big Foot kit really help.

The IRS in the B.F. is only modest compared to the AC650 or a POPO 700. However it does an acceptable job (for me anyway).

I didn't really buy the B.F. for the handling anyway. I bought it for the 750 V-Twin, the good GC, and the Locker.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default SRS vs. IRS???

I have been reading all I can find on the SRA vrs IRS issue and the one thing never mentioned is what is effect of front end suspension on all this. I have never appreciated any advantages of the MacPherson strut front ends on the Prairie/Twin Peaks and Polaris models. I am leaning towards prefering the SRA but I also believe a double wishbone front end should work better than the MacPherson struts. This would limit your options to something along lines of Vinson, Foreman, Rubicon. Is there some reason the manufacturers are not combining big bores with SRA and double wishbone front ends or is this not good idea?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default SRS vs. IRS???

Originally posted by: oldturtle
Is there some reason the manufacturers are not combining big bores with SRA and double wishbone front ends?
$

Old 11-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Range Rover
Default SRS vs. IRS???

none of the rock crawling jeeps/ buggies use independent suspension, they all use solid axels. irs likes to roll a lot going into corners, irs was made to ride nice and smooth. solid axels are a lot more stable

Old 11-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default SRS vs. IRS???

Originally posted by: ridinredODB
none of the rock crawling jeeps/ buggies use independent suspension, they all use solid axels. irs likes to roll a lot going into corners, irs was made to ride nice and smooth. solid axels are a lot more stable
The Hummer use IRS and I dont think they put it in for comfort

Old 11-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Range Rover
Default SRS vs. IRS???

i dont know why everyone thinks hummers are so great. the only reason they do so good offroad is because they come stock with 37 inch tires and lockers front and rear. they had a hummer compete in one of the Top Truck Challenge events and it didnt do worth a crap. it got high centered a lot, hung up a lot with all its over hang, it was a joke. h#!!, they weigh over 7,000 pounds!! they also rolled one over on a hill that all the solid axel jeeps and trucks were doing with no problems at all. a jeep cj-5 won that event.

when a IRS/IFS vehicle gets on a hill side the downhill supension loads up and the body rolls with it while the uphill suspension unloads making it want to roll over even more

the H2's are a joke, its a 3/4 ton chevy pickup chassis with a funky looking hummer body sitting on it.